Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Want to build a magnetometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_han_solo

Hello,
I was watching a TV show on my local PBS station and they used a Magnetometer to locate the remains of structures on an archaeology dig. The device looked very simple compared to other electronic devices used. I have been looking for plans to build a homemade magnetometer, but it seems that all the plans I can find are atmospheric or underwater plans. I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction for what i'm looking for.

Thank You.

The attached pdf file may be what you are looking for. It is from an article in an old magazine. If this is something you would be interested in let me know,as I have one that is complete and I am not using.

Attachments

• emf meter.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 2,230
I'm not sure if that's what I'm after. Here is a page of what the instrument on the show looked like **broken link removed**
hopefully what you posted can be adapted for use like that or plans or ideas can be found to where I can try and build one.

Hello and welcome.

Building a gradiometer is simple when the functional concept is understood. But the logging, interpretation and plotting of readings is a much more complex, task for computing, with many hours of sweat and tears in signal processing and programming.

Two identical zillion-turn coils in soft iron core, set apart a given distance and rigidly held respect to each other will be equally influenced by the earth magnetic field.

Being their signals equal, a differential/instrumentation amplifier shows no output.
Dragging the rigid pair of coils across terrain, one of the coils will be sensing minute different signal than the other due to being more near to a disturbance.

That is the signal the differential amplifier outputs. That is your data. Tied to the exact position of the reading; that is more data. Tied to the speed of travel, that is more data. Tied to the heading, that is more data. All those ingredients and more together can make the mapping.

Miguel

I'm not sure if that's what I'm after. Here is a page of what the instrument on the show looked like **broken link removed**
hopefully what you posted can be adapted for use like that or plans or ideas can be found to where I can try and build one.[/QUOTE
The one I posted does exactly the same as:
**broken link removed**

Awesome!
Is their any kind of software out there that I can export my data into, to do my mapping?
There are device's that do logging of data, there are some that monitor signals, store it and then transfer it to a computer for reading. They are called data loggers.

In order to do that a modification to the item I posted would be required. The gauss meter that I am talking about, is designed to be hand held and give an instant reading in guass. It is battery powered and with a simple modification it could feed data to the data logger and any changes in the gauss would be recorded by the data logger.

I really think that this is what I'm after. I have a GIS background so mapping is what I'm after with this instrument. The data logger, could you give a link to one of these so I can get an idea of what I'm after. You stated that you had built this and would part with it, how much are you looking to get for it, and what modifications would I have to make to adapt it to my use?

here is what I'm looking to get as a result, I know it's not going to be as fancy or as detailed as this, but I am just wanting to find features in the earth.

**broken link removed**

Here are two sources that I found that will record the data.
**broken link removed**
DesignNotes.com, Inc.
On the second link search for the PCS10 data logger.
Both units record voltage, as the gauss meter converts the magnetic field to a voltage that is indicated on a liquid crystal display that is programmed to show voltage.
I will send you a PM with the details about my gauss meter.
Ned

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back