Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Want Guidance for my Arduino Networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamid Zajkani

Hello Dears ,

I want to make a wireless connection projects that have a star network. Or, Point to Multi-Point.

With Arduino I want to make it, for agricultural purposes, for a distance about of 3500 meters.

I have 20 slave node and 1 Master.

With regard to the question of what kind of modules do you recommend?

is suitable NRF24L01 module for this project??

Thanks for your Help

Welcome to ETO, Hamid Zajkani!

... is suitable NRF24L01 module for this project??
For the transceiver IC component of a module, yes, but...

You'll need to find modules (for both the hub and nodes) with sufficient signal amplification to extend the range of the devices to, at the least, 2000m to assure reliable data comms (I couldn't find any). Even that range might be insufficient during rain events.

Are the locations of the modules fixed. or can they move?
With directional antennas you can get 3000 meters under certain conditions.
No rain. Maybe low humidity. Line of sight only! No trees blocking view. Antennas must be fixed. (looking at each other)

I think you want to stay with "no license" radio.
How much data is sent?

Welcome to ETO, Hamid Zajkani!

For the transceiver IC component of a module, yes, but...

You'll need to find modules (for both the hub and nodes) with sufficient signal amplification to extend the range of the devices to, at the least, 2000m to assure reliable data comms (I couldn't find any). Even that range might be insufficient during rain events.
so are you recommand me to use NRF24L01 ??

Are the locations of the modules fixed. or can they move?
With directional antennas you can get 3000 meters under certain conditions.
No rain. Maybe low humidity. Line of sight only! No trees blocking view. Antennas must be fixed. (looking at each other)

How much data is sent?
Yes Location of modules are fix , No Tree , No Building , in a big farm . for Control Electric valve , With Android Application that will send SMS Command to GSM Shiled on Server , and server Send to Clients by RF module for Control Electric valve , and receive some sensor Data .

and what exactly your meaning about this sentence : " I think you want to stay with "no license" radio." , I cant Understand ? Thanks

Last edited:
The radio waves are controlled by the government(s). If you fill in your profile so we can see what country you are in it would help. There are some bands where you can send data with our a license. (pay money to the government) There are some other bands you can send data if the volume is low and it is measuring data and the data is random. (you can send the temperature every time the number changes but you can not sent every minute, or second, or hour)

2.4ghz band is open (with restrictions) This is where your WiFi internet is. There is also 900mhz with much more restrictions.

XBEE radio is one option. The PRO version is good. It can be setup in a "mesh" network. The price is high. You might want to read up on mesh network.
XBEE-900 is for 900 mhz. It has no problem with rain like the 2.4ghz band.
I am running my "PC" network over a big area. (with antennas ) 5 miles to town.
I am using Raspberry Pi 3, you might want to look at "Raspberry Pi 0". They are $5.00. Then I add a $11.00 USB-WiFi adapter. For long distance you will want to get a better WiFi thing. Just an idea.

The radio waves are controlled by the government(s). If you fill in your profile so we can see what country you are in it would help. There are some bands where you can send data with our a license. (pay money to the government) There are some other bands you can send data if the volume is low and it is measuring data and the data is random. (you can send the temperature every time the number changes but you can not sent every minute, or second, or hour)

2.4ghz band is open (with restrictions) This is where your WiFi internet is. There is also 900mhz with much more restrictions.

XBEE radio is one option. The PRO version is good. It can be setup in a "mesh" network. The price is high. You might want to read up on mesh network.
XBEE-900 is for 900 mhz. It has no problem with rain like the 2.4ghz band.
I am running my "PC" network over a big area. (with antennas ) 5 miles to town.

I am using Raspberry Pi 3, you might want to look at "Raspberry Pi 0". They are $5.00. Then I add a $11.00 USB-WiFi adapter. For long distance you will want to get a better WiFi thing. Just an idea.

so exactly got it , I want to use no-licence radio.

I'm from Iran. and Iranian radio regulations I'm think like US.

Yes so good , The XBee 900 MHz is good for miles , but you say maybe its has restriction in my country ? I have to check it .

I have one Raspberry-pi 3 model B , But the Implementation vs Arduino is a little Harder . but no problem . when I'm find true solution , I'm do it.

your idea is great ! I'm a Computer Engineering and Programmer , my field is not electronic . so I will happy to use Raspberry pi . but I have some issue .

the most important one is :

Do I with Wi-Fi module can reach distances up to 4 km?

Do I with Wi-Fi modules on an area of about 250 hectares farm can I network?

fact it's how I get my home internet.
Me to.

I used 2.4ghz band for years. (5 miles 8km) When it rains or there is a fog then there is no connection. Almost never rains.
Now I have moved to 5ghz band and it works in the rain.
----why----
Micro wave cooker works at 2.4ghz. Water adsorbed energy at 2.4ghz. Good radio band indoors. Has some problems outdoors. As you can see we are using it outside.
---------
I have internet in my "green house". One end of the connection is a stand router, no special antenna. The other end has a 2.5 foot dish from satellite TV. I removed the antenna form the dish and put a standard router there. Strong signal at 1km.
---edited----
The "mesh" network will not need a large antenna. If you have a radio every 1km and you can not talk 10km, then the radios can talk to each other.
Example: Radio-0 can talk to Radio-1 & 2. Radio-2 can talk to Radio-0,1,3,4. Radio-4 can talk to Radio-2,3,5,6. etc. So if you broadcast a message "I am Radio-0 and I want to talk to Radio-10" The message will hop from 0 to 2, 2 to 4, 4 to 6, 6 to 9, 9 to 10. You do not need to know how the message gets there. Yes this will be a little slow. In my case; if I want to turn on water valve-9, a delay of 1 second is nothing.

Last edited:
Have a look at this website, they offer a wide range of long distance WiFi systems - and in fact it's how I get my home internet.

https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/airgridm/

so Great ... I see that. but the price is a little high for big projects with many clients . but seems implementation is going easier for a man his field computer.

in my case I have 1 server connected to internet and 20 client around the server communicate with server .

Can I use one of those antenna for example ( AG-HP-2G16 ) for a server and use simple wifi module for example ( esp8266 ) in a clients ? or some cheaper RJ45 connector wireless modem? or I have to use those antenna ( AG-HP-2G16 ) for each clients ??

is raspberry pi dongle wireless connection can connect that wireless network ?

Last edited:
My only experiences of them are:

1) It's how I get my home internet, there's a small dish on my chimney, and an Ethernet cable comes down from it, through a POE box (to power it), then an Ethernet lead into a wireless router - essentially it's a 'receiver' for my Internet. I can't find that specific model listed on their website though.

2) I used one like you mention (AG-HP-2G16) at work (as a transmitter) to send Internet/Local Network across to the bosses house, where it's just received as normal wireless Internet.

But they aren't just antennas, they are complete wireless network transceivers. You can use any WiFi device to connect to them, it really depends on what range you require.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back