Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Walk me through cron - delete a file every hour

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeepItSimpleStupid

Most Helpful Member
shell program would be

#!/bin/bash
rm /home/ubuntu/.xsession-errors

with execute permissions,

What else do I have to do?

Sorry noticed your OS so this gives much better info

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CronHowto

Kiss which version Ubuntu you running? If you mean execute as in normally run under sudo then you need to edit the main cron page and not the user cron tab which is -e for normal user.

Last edited:
I had a really nice unix book at one time.

I'm actually running 12.04 LTS from a Live CD in 16 GB of RAM with a small USB stick and a Qnap 5 TB RAID server connected via NFS.

I really do need to figure out how to upgrade and backup to the NAS. Everything (browsers) is starting to break under 12.04. Now certain websites (my pharmacy) won't work unless you use Chrome or should I say "Chromium".

That looks a little better than what I was looking at. I'll give it a shot.

Is the system on all the time? I ask because if this is a plug in sometimes thing then you need to add a file i think, that way it dosnt start fresh each time but retains some info like cron settings. I cant think off the top of my head as its a couple of years since me and raspberry were intimate.

Sorry for the questions but in Nux as you know, there is always 6 ways to do something and 5 of those are wrong for each situation. Also what NAS you got? Shoot me a pm with some details of your system and i will find you some really good reference stuff and walk you through the NAS etc if needed. Worse part is actually knowing how your set up, after that the rest is easy. I am around a fair bit on Tuesday i think, so I can delve into it then, funny enough i am trying to set up a mint VM.

Mint has never played nicely with my hardware, especially the graphics card!! I also want to network my environment incubators and bio reactors etc, taking the lazy route and going linux and raspberry pi where needed. So easy now to spi micro's to a RPI then where needed Linux VM's on a small permanent on pc. I normally use ubuntu because it plays nice with most hardware and most versions of linux, but the later versions of it are getting bloated a bit with the newer desktops.

Also I have a electrophosresis gel dryer and imaging machine, it runs a custom flavor of linux that i think is maybe a chopped up red hat version, it refuses point blank blank to have anything to do with ubuntu. I will look what pdf books i got, if any are of use i will still in our file vault and give you a link to them. I will include instructions how to download them.

Linux and python........really nice way to get work done, less stress than VS and windows! Especially if your running 6-7 VM's with linux on, all at the same time. We have switched to windows server 2013 R2 for the office server, it was a borrowed license but its going back!! Nightmare way to run a server! It took 41 hours at a good speed to download the patches! Then within 5 mins my little pc with linux on for the gas chromatograph, starts shouting at me, when i delve into it server 2013 has some serious holes in the base setup!!

Its sold as being tighter to get into than a ducks egg laying end in water! Its not security hardened, just difficult to operate! So back to a linux server, i wanted windows for the main one because of using a certain accounts package that wont run on anything but windows. Will go back to the older accounts software.

Using gnome-schedule was cake to set up. Command was
rm -f ~/.xsession-errors to execute hourly. -f is don't complain if file isn't there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back