Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage tripler with PWM signals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes BUT the current will also depend on the load and the particular FET's characteristics, so won't be very predictable.
I chose the Load to hold 5A for 3.3V rail, thus the 0.66 ohm. The thing is with a gate driver I can't change the current through the load, it's just always the same...
I'm using a UCC27531 from TI, I can't change neither the gate voltage and by consequence neither does the current. Am I doing something wrong, or is it just how it's supposed to work? Circuit in attachment.

Attachments

• active_load_control.rar
    3.1 KB · Views: 79
  • active_load_control.jpg
    active_load_control.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 101
The output pulses from the gate driver are always at the power supply voltage of 15V. As the capacitor is charged a little with each pulse then the gate voltage increases a little and the Mosfet begins to conduct current through the load.
Your circuit has nothing to discharge the capacitor so the Mosfet does not vary the output current if you vary the width of the pulses.

Mosfet Driver is a no-go for this project. I've figured out a decent low Rds logic level mosfet for my applications, however yet another problem has come up (what a surprise).

Since I'm following the previous referred instructable (https://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Programmable-Constant-Current-Power-Resist/) I included an op amp before the MOSFET to make a follower, however the guy from the project in the instructables site used a stability loop between the op amp and the MOSFET and I don't understand how he calculates those values, I used the same values just try to test even though his MOSFET is different than mine.

The thing is, with or without stability loop I get the same weird response from the output of the op amp, it goes instantly up when responding to a ramp voltage and then slowly, why does this happen? This feature will not allow my application to work as intended... Circuit bellow.

Once again thank you for your patience.

Attachments

• active_load_control.rar
    1.8 KB · Views: 74
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back