Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage regulators

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilbee

Hello everyone.
I am recently involved in some pnematics work and i need to drive a 2W 24V solenoid valves from the mains.

After choosing a suitable standard 24V output transformer and brigde rectifier. i will need a voltage regulator to regulate it back up to 24V dc due to the loss in the rectifier. However, is there a great loss in power in the regulator and will cause the ouptut power to the valves drop below 2W??

Also, if i need a smoothing capacitor what is the usual process for calculating the required capacitance???

thank you so much for your help!!!
wils :lol:

If you are just connecting a 24V DC solenoid to the rectified output of a 24V transformer you should not need anything else. The solenoid is not particularly fussy about the exact voltage anyway.
If you were to measure the DC voltage at the rectifier you would find that it is around 0.9x the AC voltage at the transformer secondary, when you connect the solenoid.
If you were to connect a capacitor as well it would be 1.41 x the AC secondary voltage, depending on capacitor size and load current.
Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back