Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage regulator Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe_1

I got two ways to get 5V from the bridge rectifier connected to 110VAC:
1-By using the LM7805
2-By using Zener diode 1N4733A

My question is which approach is better?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Neither. You're bridge rectifier should be connect to a low-voltage transformer. Then you can think about filtration and regulation.

Last edited:
The transformer I am using does step the voltage down to 15VAC, but my issue is voltage regulation which has nothing to do with the transformer.

I got two ways to get 5V from the bridge rectifier connected to 110VAC:
1-By using the LM7805
2-By using Zener diode 1N4744A

My question is which approach is better?
Thanks.

If you want to get 5V out, the datasheet says you'll at least need 7V-20V input voltage. Also, there is a typical 4V drop across the diodes, and usually you would use a bridge. Therefore, you can use that transformer that takes 120V AC down to 15V AC, then you'll get 9V on the output. Or, you could have the transformer step down the voltage, as long as it doesn't go below 7V or above 20V. Keep in mind you'll also need a filter capacitor to smooth the ripple. I would suggest you go and look at the basic schematics for power supplies. Observe the diode bridge and the filter cap. After the cap, it goes into the regulator circuit.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.
Actually I built two circuits, one using the LM7805, and the other using Zener diode 1N4744A. They both work OK, and I am getting 5VDC.

My question is not about how to get 5VDC; I am just wondering if the LM7805 is a better regulator than the Zener diode 1N4733A. I know the Zener is cheaper, and does not require heat sink.

Last edited:
Zener based regulation is usually more precise. IC regulators deliver more current.

Zener based regulation is usually more precise. IC regulators deliver more current.
Just the opposite. The voltage out vs load current of an IC regulator is much flatter than a series resistor-shunt zener regulator.

Isn't the 4744 a 15V zener, not a 5V one?

Just the opposite. The voltage out vs load current of an IC regulator is much flatter than a series resistor-shunt zener regulator.

Isn't the 4744 a 15V zener, not a 5V one?

You are right. I meant 4733A.

The reason I am posting this question is because my boss saw this zener circuit and said that zener-resistor based regulators are crude, cheap, and they wont handle situations where the AC voltage drops to 100VAC.
For some reason, I used to think that inside the LM7805 there is a Zener!

That's why I said IC regulator delivers more current.

Last edited:

The reason I am posting this question is because my boss saw this zener circuit and said that zener-resistor based regulators are crude, cheap, and they wont handle situations where the AC voltage drops to 100VAC.

Slightly more than a Zener.

Attachments

• 7805.gif
    7805.gif
    28.8 KB · Views: 211
Thanks guys.
Actually I built two circuits, one using the LM7805, and the other using Zener diode 1N4744A. They both work OK, and I am getting 5VDC.

My question is not about how to get 5VDC; I am just wondering if the LM7805 is a better regulator than the Zener diode 1N4733A. I know the Zener is cheaper, and does not require heat sink.

A Zener is a shunt regulator and is very crude for use as a regulator of voltage if you have to supply current to a load. The 7805 is far superior in general..... which is why they were invented and then replaced zener shunt regulators on nearly everything on earth. Zeners have very limited use these days. There are IC shunt regulators that are far superior and very cheap like the LM-385 for example. The voltage precision is better as well as temp stability.

There might be some Zeners somewhere in there, but only used to set up an internal voltage reference not the output voltage. That is set by a bandgap reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back