Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage Level Shift?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VICI

Hi, I'm an undergrad (junior-to-be) EE student with a research project this summer and I was wondering if anyone could help me out.
I am trying to convert the frequency signal of my anemometer to a
voltage signal, but my frequency to voltage chip (LM2907) requires a +/-
15mV swing on either side of the inverting input. My input voltage is
currently 0-5v. I think I need a voltage level shift circuit(?) to shift my input voltage slightly negative. Can anyone help me out with that? Or recommend good webpages (or another name I could look up in my textbooks?)
Thanks Very Much!

You have the 8-pins IC which has hysteresis and its input DC reference voltage is 0V. You could capacitor-couple the signal to the existing IC.

The 14-pins one can have its input DC reference voltage what ever you want.
Here are the notes from the datasheet:

Attachments

• LM2907-2917 notes.PNG
    LM2907-2917 notes.PNG
    36.8 KB · Views: 969
Yes, except the 8-pin ICs were free, and the university beaurocracy didn't have to approve it first. I only have 2 weeks or so to finish what I have.
I'm not sure I understand capacitor coupling the anemometer signal. I wish I had a scanner to show my circuit layout for the chip. But I really just want to know about this "level-shift" ordeal. It's something with transistors to literally shift the voltage (0 = -1, 1 = 0, etc) but I can't find it in my books.

Like I said, use a coupling capacitor for your level shifting.
A coupling capacitor can couple an AC signal from one DC voltage to any other DC voltage.

Attachments

• Level shift.PNG
    Level shift.PNG
    4 KB · Views: 1,057
can anybody give me a schmatic to shift an AC voltage of 5 Vp-p to fit into 0-5V range with 2.5V as the offset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back