Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Vizio TV Repair, Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

tblake

Hi Guys,

Thanks so far with the great advice. I have another question I was hoping someone might be able to help me out with.

My friend has a 42" Vizio LCD TV. He's had it for over a year. The warrenty is expired (go figure).

When you turn it on, all that is viewed is a bunch of colored horizontal lines flickering and dancing around all over the place. There is no sound, and no way to access the menu/change channels.

He brought it to Best Buy (where he got it from) and the geek squad looked at it and said it would cost more to repair it than a new one is worth.

I offered to find out as much as I could about the problem and possible solutions for him. I did take a sememster of electronics in college and a single class in HS, so I sort of know what I'm doing. I just dont have a place to start with this TV.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Again!

Thanks Mr. Goodwin. I will have a look. By PSU you mean Power supply unit? I'm unsure if this one has an external power supply or if AC power cord is hooked durectly to the TV. I dont have the TV in front of me.

How would I go about checking capacitors? The only time I've ever dealt with them is when they have melted when transistors when out in other electronic equipment.

How could capicitors cause this screwy display output? (not providing enough voltage?)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes, capacitors in the power supply - even if there is an external unit, there is still an internal power supply as well.

You require an ESR meter to test them, although if you're lucky you may spot some with domed tops.

PSU problems can cause all kinds of strange effects.

Sorry, my elecronics knowledge isnt up to par (ESR Meter?)

I have a multimeter with all sorts of different settings, am I able to use that to test them with that?

Thanks!

Sorry, my elecronics knowledge isnt up to par (ESR Meter?)

Based on that statement I'd really advise against messing about with the innards of this set and maybe speak to a local repair guy who will have an ESR meter and the tools to perform other tests without frying themselves ;)

Unless you can visually see a damaged component, without schematics and a fairly high level of electronics experience your chances of repair are slim to none.

well its a big waste of space as it is.

Just hang it on the wall and pretend you are rich.

I always meant to recess our 32" CRT television into the fireplace to make it look like a plasma many years ago. That was back in the days a plasma cost the same as a good secondhand car ;)

Thats a good idea!

I actually just contacted my friend who is not at home, but he told me that its not a visio, its a viore. Does that make a difference?

Last edited:
yeah thats what I said, now the truth comes out. Its a Wally World TV they got at Black friday last year for 599.99.

I keep doing research on this TV and come to find out a lot of others are having similiar issues with the main circuit board. They just suggest to replace it. At a price of 150.00 I'm not sure replacing the main circuit board in hopes that it will work is worth it.

He brought it to Best Buy (where he got it from)
Its a Wally World TV
Seems to get around.

Worked for 12 months at $600, look at it as a $50 a month rental. If it was mine I'd be upgrading to a 46" brand name with decent reviews and use the $150 towards the purchase price.
You can get a 40" plasma for near nothing these days, although I prefer LCDs and they're cheap too.

yeah thats what I thought. Maybe the 150 should be spent on the downpayment for a decent brand.

What ever happened to Olevia? The sales guy at Target kept pushing that damn brand every time I'd walk through there. Now I cant find them anywhere? Were they any good?

Olevia is yet another crappy brand, same with SOYO (really awful)
Salesmen push brands with high commissions not good products. It's up to you the consumer to do your research beforehand. I like Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Sony and you can find em cheap if you look around (not so much Sony)

yeah, I remember standing next to the target salesman. I wasn't even there to get a TV, just walked by and couldnt get away. He was comparing the picture quality of a olivia to a Magnavox (I think it was). Either way. Him and I got into an arguement becuase I thought in comparison, the olivia was way worse compared to the other one. Tell you the truth, I thought both were pretty crappy. (Like I'd ever buy an 800+ TV from Target)

Olevia is yet another crappy brand, same with SOYO (really awful)
Salesmen push brands with high commissions not good products. It's up to you the consumer to do your research beforehand. I like Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Sony and you can find em cheap if you look around (not so much Sony)

I read the reviews on Polaroid TV's and they seemed to be horrible as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back