Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Vizio 29" smart tv, no picture

Status
Not open for further replies.

jray72

I came home the other day and powered my Vizio E291i-a1 on and the screen came on and had vertical lines on the screen. It powers up but no picture. Nothing has hit the screen being it was wall mounted. I can press menu key and on the left side of the screen, where the menu should be, a lot of verticals lines pop up there also. Can anyone please point me in the right direction with what could be the issue with this tv. I called Vizio and they mentioned it is the backlight, but doesnt a board power the backlight? Do backlights themselves go out like this? Please help me and thank you in advance.

If you can see vertical lines then the back light is OK. (no back light no light, at all)
No menu is not good.
You could try to see if one of the HDMI inputs work. But I think the problem is BIG.

When you say "Big" what does that mean? Ok, i plugged in the HDMI, same thing, vertical lines. I'm not a man with a lot of money so i'm trying to salvage the tv. I can get parts from ebay pretty cheap and i'm mechanically inclined so any help you can provide i would be grateful. Thank you

Before getting parts, you must diagnose.
The backlight is fine as told.

What I would do is open the back cover, and carefully, with power unplugged, first visually check if there is any bulged electrolytic capacitors; that is a confirmed common reason to create problems of all sorts. If none appears bulged disconnect ALL cables interconnecting boards and the LCD panel, inspect, clean and refit. There is several types of connectors for ribbon and foil cables (slide and lever locking) that will break if you do not handle them properly.
Retest and come back.

There is plenty of pictures of bulged capacitors on the web to recognize them as failed, and also of complains about vertical lines.

Ok, i disconnected all cables and reconnected. Looked for bulging capacitors. Nothing appears to be wrong. I worked at a electronics company a few months back, building motherboards for elevators so i know a little something, and what to look for.

Next step is to measure voltages from the power supply section. If lucky, the values are printed next to the connector that distributes to another board(s) Look for 12v, 5v, 3.3v ...

Thank you guys. I still havent fixed it but im going to get my hands on a voltmeter and check the power supply as Externet mentioned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back