Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Vista compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.

oliverb

I am new to PICs and after reading the "new commers please read" I think I will build the parallel programmer P16Pro40.

However, I have Windows Vista and am not sure which hardware device programmers will work with it.

Icprog seems to load in Vista but WinPicProg does not.

Can anyone recommend a programmer that works in Vista? If all else fails I have an XP laptop and a couple of old XP machines that I could use.

My mind is not 100% made up on the parallel programmer P16Pro40 so any other recommendations will be welcome either self build or prebuilt as long as they can be supplied to a UK address.

Thanks in advance.
Brett.

I am not an expert on this, but from personal expierience anything that requires direct access to any of the ports seems to have a lot of trouble in vista.

Hi,

As Bill said the Pickit2 is the best if you want something thats ready to use and has all the extras like Logic and Usart tools etc.

You can buy the Pickit2 from Farnells or RS in the UK - here are the codes as there is a lot of PK2 variants - the only ones worth considering are the base unit or the Debug Express which as a demo board.

Farnells code 1340 278 PK2 Debug Express and 984-170 Pk2 programmer only.

If you want something more adaptable and to build the the Junebug is a good choice with all its expansion ports etc.

If you still prefer to build a basic programmer - forget serial and parallel units, they seldom work fully, and build a basic function USB Pickit2 programmer clone - very easy - the catch is you need to program up its microchip a pic18f2550 - if you cannot get that done locally could always do it for you - only a day in the post.

I am new to PICs and after reading the "new commers please read" I think I will build the parallel programmer P16Pro40.

However, I have Windows Vista and am not sure which hardware device programmers will work with it.

Icprog seems to load in Vista but WinPicProg does not.

WinPicProg 'should' work, BUT the driver DLL it uses won't install under Vista, so WinPicProg won't run as it requires the DLL.

Can anyone recommend a programmer that works in Vista? If all else fails I have an XP laptop and a couple of old XP machines that I could use.

My mind is not 100% made up on the parallel programmer P16Pro40 so any other recommendations will be welcome either self build or prebuilt as long as they can be supplied to a UK address.

Parallel ports are pretty well obselete now, most modern machines don't have them - go for a USB programmer such as the PICKit2 or a clone, like the Junebug.

Thanks for all your replies.

The Junebug kit now looks favorite!

I think the "Newcommers please read first" thread needs a bit of an update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back