Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Vista and programming through USB port

Status
Not open for further replies.

nye

Hi im a beginner, and at the moment im learning to program in C and i hope to start microcontrollers soon. My laptop has Vista, and has only USB ports. i bought a USB-serial and USB-parallel port converter. so can i program on my laptop using the converter???also does anyone know of any websites where i can buy microcontroller programming kits, or starter kits for microcontrollers???thanks in advance...

Both my Inchworm and my Picstart+ both work with a USB to RS232 converter. My JDM type programmer doesn't. If you want to work in C via USB then **broken link removed** may interest you. I can also recommend the Inchworm+ with the Unicorn extension from Bill at **broken link removed**. I also have an official Microchip ICD2 and Bill's seems to be many times faster.

Mike.

is RS232 serial or parallel port???and Inchworm is the name of the programming board??do all these come with software, or do i hav to get them separately??ICD2 is also a board??pls forgiv my ignorance..

Pommie said:
I also have an official Microchip ICD2 and Bill's seems to be many times faster.
<off topic>

Really? Any idea why? Which Microchip ICD2, the first one or the later one with an 18F4550?

Pommie said:
Both my Inchworm and my Picstart+ both work with a USB to RS232 converter. My JDM type programmer doesn't.

Simply because the Inchworm (ICD2) and PicStart+ both use the 'serial port', the JDM doesn't, it manually toggles some of the handshake lines - so it's far less likely to work via a USB/Serial converter.

Mike,

My ICD2 is the round one - revision 3. I just looked inside and it does have the 4550 in it. I bought it a few years ago but didn't use it as it was painfully slow. When I attached my Unicorn to my Inchworm+ I was pleasantly surprised at how fast it was.

Nye,
The Inchworm is an ICD2 clone. ICD = in circuit debugger. The ICD2 and clones work directly with MPLAB and so no additional software is required. The UBW, or rather the Sparkfun version, has a USB bootloader preprogrammed. Have a read of the site for more info.

Mike.

so basically tht website tht u gave me mike should hav everything tht i want??software and hardware??and nigel, are ur tutorials compatible wit everything mentioned here???

is it easy to program wit c????i jus thought this might b the easiest, since im already learning it..or are there other easier languages?

is it easy to program wit c????i jus thought this might b the easiest, since im already learning it..or are there other easier languages?
I don't think it's very easy to program in C, which is to say, I don't have the patience, need, or desire for it. Apparently there's a free C compiler from Microchip for the 18 series of PICs, though, and the people who use that on this forum seem to swear by it (and there'd be a resource of help in those people in that area should you ever need it). There are also commercial BASIC compilers for PICs, although from what I can tell these range in price from about $100 to $250. There is a free, open-source BASIC compiler called Great Cow, and although it's still in its beta stage (i.e. version 0.9.3), I find it useful to understanding assembly by writing a program in Great Cow and then sifting through the assembly code it generates.

Incidentally (and because you asked earlier), the serial port of your computer is an RS-232 connection, so your USB to serial port connector = USB to RS-232, it's the same thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back