Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

vintage car battery charge controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a number of homemade refits of those old buzzer regulators using a simple op amp voltage comparator circuit and a large transistor for the field control many years ago. They fit inside the original regulator housing and always worked well. I still have my original one from about 20 years ago and its still in service!
It just basically a slightly modified version of a stock external regulator the older Ford alternator systems use.

I used them on our old farm tractors until I got around to electrical system upgrades and installed high output alternators in order to keep up with modern lighting loads that were added then.

how are you controlling the switching speed ? surely a comparator driving a power transistor will just ran as fast as the comparator and/or transistor can switch ?

That basically all it was. The actual field coil inductance will limit the actual speed to about the same realistic rate the buzzing contact system used. Or at least it seemed to have the same basic output characteristics only without the spiking and RF hash. As I said before it was rather crude but did prove it self effective at holding the system voltage more stable.

Well I tried out the attached circuit and things have been a bit hectic. now firstly at some point I had trouble around Q1 as nothing i did would make it switch full on and hence deliver a clean signal to the mosfet gate. anyhow at some point after some proding we got it to work but only when the field coil was powered via the battery did it work proporly, when we put the field coil supply onto the armature output it just ran until we pulled it off at 16.5 v battery voltage.

to remove all doubt I want to make the circuit on a soldered board rather than breadboard in case of faulty connections as at 1 KHz there should not have been a problem.

for some reason Q1 was always at 10ish volts on the collector instead of 0.2 volts when on

Attachments

• vintage-car-reg.gif
    vintage-car-reg.gif
    9.8 KB · Views: 408
yes that's what I have said to him, I need to know about the generator he has

All the dynamos we used to play with as kids (on old cars and motorbikes) were of the same type. A set of rotating coils connected via a commutator to give DC output (just like a normal DC motor). But instead of a permanent magnet, it was surrounded by an electromagnet, and this is switched ON and OFF to alter the charging current.

The residual magnetism in the magnet allowed such dynamos to start working without any external power, and the output polarity was governed by the polarity of the electro magnet.

It was simple to change the polarity (for anyone who remembers positive and negative earth radios), you just needed to touch a wire from the field coil to the live side of the battery, this would set the residual magnetism the correct way. You could do the exact same thing by manually pressing one of the relay contacts in the regulator, assuming it was an open one, and you could get to it.

We once put the battery on backwards by accident :eek: and it worked perfectly fine, except as you went faster the lights got dimmer :p

well nigel sounds like you had fun, good old days aye ?

I made R1 a bit high maybe, I have changed this for a 1 K resistor which will give (at average hfe) a current capability of 300 mA on the collector, I've soldered it all together so hopefully will work better tonight !

Last edited:
well nigel sounds like you had fun, good old day aye ?

Oh yes, great fun - trying to scrounge money togther to buy a gallon of petrol at five bob! :p

Makes you wonder how we ever survived, the crazy things we used to do - I'd have had a fit if my daughter had done the things we used to.

For example, as kids (probably six years old onwards) we used to climb this:

Cratcliffe Rocks on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

BTW, for those of you who can remember the film "The Princess Bride", much of it was filmed round there.

Last edited:
well nigel if you survived that your certainly fit for anything, trouble is these days we are so mamby pamby its a miracle evolution does not take its natural course and eliminate us through natural selection. If only much of the helath and safety stuff did not exist, if your that stupid that your going to get yourself killed because you just can't manage well what can be done about it ?

I've seen the princess bride great film, pity some of his later stuff was not as good.

Hi, Thunderchild

I Digged out from my archives a complete scheme + calculations +...+...+....+++ ...

that was published in ...1983 by Radio Plans magazine ... issue 430.

Of course, Everything written in French ...

It's a 12v regulator, but no PIC aboard ... ( ROFL )

Interested in ???

Alain

Last edited:
Hi Alain, well why not, my french is awful but I'm sure I can read a schematic. please do let me have a copy if you can. I'll PM you my address

well now i have a problem where the mosfet is not fully off, I seem to be having problems with the drive transistor (2N2222A), maybe an npn arrangement is better ? I think the problems are something to do with the two different voltage supplies in the circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back