Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Video out from a PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilma

Hi newbie here, am quite familiar wih PIC for control, looking for some help.

I currently use the usual 16x2 LCD's for status outputs. In a new project im looking to have a "video out" or even a "Video overlay"

Im followung 3 diffent avinures at the mo:

1 - straight up buying one (www.stv5730a.co.uk, or BOB 3http://www.decadenet.com/bob3/bob3.html )

2 - using a serout from a PIC to go into a OSD chip from a old pace sat reciever (the mitsubishi M50555-001sp)

3 - working out how this PIC in this kit (**broken link removed**) does it. (its a PIC16C505-20/P)

so my question is 2 fold:

ref my option 2, are there any other IC's available that waould interface with a PIC with minimal componants that would output to a video out.

ref my option 3, the video out in the circut given is simply wired to RB0 and RC0, how does this PIC do it? whats the coding needed?

thanks in advance

Simon

You can generate RS170 (like NTSC but black and white) with a PIC. All you need is a fast D to A. The timing reqirements are fairly steep though. You also need a fair amount of memory to store your video frames. All in all this project is better suited to a FPGA or CPLD.

Brent

Well, I don't know much about PIC programing... but this page: **broken link removed** might help you if you look at the PIC source code. (**broken link removed**) Matbe you can get something out of it like something about the timing. :? Maybe. :lol:

Well anyway, let me know if this helps. :wink:

Rain

wilma said:

I currently use the usual 16x2 LCD's for status outputs. In a new project im looking to have a "video out" or even a "Video overlay"

1 - straight up buying one (www.stv5730a.co.uk, or BOB 3http://www.decadenet.com/bob3/bob3.html )

2 - using a serout from a PIC to go into a OSD chip from a old pace sat reciever (the mitsubishi M50555-001sp)

3 - working out how this PIC in this kit (**broken link removed**) does it. (its a PIC16C505-20/P)

ref my option 2, are there any other IC's available that waould interface with a PIC with minimal componants that would output to a video out.

ref my option 3, the video out in the circut given is simply wired to RB0 and RC0, how does this PIC do it? whats the coding needed?

wilma said:

That's the easiest route.

Do you have the programming details for the M50555, I did this years ago using an NEC chip (used in Amstrad analogue satellite receivers and Hitachi VCR's) as it was the only one I could find a datasheet for.

I'm presuming that is just a Pong game, it doesn't seem to say on the PDF. It simply generates every thing in software, sync pules and video, but it is very limited.

2) You need to find any OSD chip that you can get a datasheet for, and that you can get a sample of - the production run of these chips is usually very short, the NEC one I used was discontinued - which prevented the board been produced. If you can get hold of one, I still have the PIC code for it.

3) The two outputs use the resistors to make a simple D2A, you need three steps, sync, black level, and white level. As already mentioned, there are a couple of games you can download, a Pong game and Tetris, there's also a colour bar generator you can download as well.

Your best option is probably the OSD chip, it will also allow you to do text overlays on top of video - useful for putting the date and time on CCTV tapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back