Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Very Simple Question/Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Webcol

What is the lightest smallest simplest and lowest heatloss method of direct wired speed control for a 1500 KV brushless using a 12 volt source

I am sure 1500 KV does not mean 1500 kV.
MIMO (Meaningful Input = Meaningful Output)
More info please. E

kV means 'RPM per Volt' sort of, in this terminology. Given that the speed is controlled by the frequency of the ESC, I've never quite worked out why this terminology prevails.

Thank you , Canadaelk. You are correct, I apologize I did not give much info up front to explain my request. Well here's the thing: I am not versed or used to designing electrical micro controls. I am a skilled in many things but not electrical. I am building a vibrating movement toy for my son using an amalgam of parts including the 1500 KV brushless motor, a flexible RC speed boat drive shaft and a number of custom fabricated parts from my milling machine and lathe. All the controllers I can find for the brushless motors are linked to wireless control units for the RC community but this thing just needs a hardwired dial or a slider. I have built the circuit board to control a brushed motor and it works (but throws to much heat- hence the switch to a brushless) So even if someone could point me to a schematic, I'll build the board for speed controlling a 12 volt 1500KV Brushless.

Suggest you buy an ESC & then build the controller for it, which is just a continuous stream of pulses, for which the ratio of on vs off (aka duty cycle) controls the speed

I have built the circuit board to control a brushed motor and it works (but throws to much heat- hence the switch to a brushless) So even if someone could point me to a schematic, I'll build the board for speed controlling a 12 volt 1500KV Brushless.
Why do you think that just because it is brushless it is less power dissipated?
The motor is a little more efficient but the drive will dissipate close to the same power, maybe it was a design problem?
RC ESC usually run very high current/power for a brief period.
Max.

Why do you think that just because it is brushless it is less power dissipated?
The motor is a little more efficient but the drive will dissipate close to the same power, maybe it was a design problem?
RC ESC usually run very high current/power for a brief period.
Max.
I thought brushed motor speed controllers wasted heat by dissipating electrical resistance and brushless motor controllers controlled speed by pulse modulation. Once again, my mistake there. OK so yes,I can look up a schematic and build a board for speed control , not worrying if it is brushed or brushless?

I thought brushed motor speed controllers wasted heat by dissipating electrical resistance and brushless motor controllers controlled speed by pulse modulation. Once again, my mistake there. OK so yes,I can look up a schematic and build a board for speed control , not worrying if it is brushed or brushless?
Brushless motor controllers have PWM on the input (same as a servo etc - standard radio control stuff) & 3 phase variable frequency output.
Brushed dc motors can be speed controlled using PWM. You probably find it easier to find an appropriate brushless motor than a brushed one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back