Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

variable resistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daviddoria

on standard potentiometers, as well as the little blue surface mount version, there are 3 pins. on the pinout sheets they say "wiper" for the third pin. I know the wiper is the little physical thing that spins around to adjust the resistance, however, where does this pin go out to on the circuit?
ex

|(1) |(2)
|(3)

this is what the bottom of my little blue guy looks like.

i would imagine 1 and 2 are like the normal leads on a nonvariable resistor, but what do i do with pin 3 (wiper)?

thanks
david

Connect the wiper to either pin 1 or pin 3 to get a 2-wire variable resistor. To make a variable potential-divider, take the output between wiper and 3-pin and connect the input to pins 1 and 3 (This connection is used in audio amplifiers for volume control).
See picture below:

Attachments

• POT.gif
    POT.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 1,193
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back