Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Variable Frequency And Duty Cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrownOut

Banned
A recent discussion on a circuit with which frequency and duty cycle can be varied independent of each other was the inspiration for the attached circuit. R10 and R15 are intended to model a variable resistor with the input connected to the wiper. This controls the duty cycle. Frequency is controlled independently via R9. In the simulation, two discreet frequencies are chosen by R9, and duty cycle is set to approximately 66%. The duty cycle is visably unaffected by the frequency.

The advantage of this curcuit is the output is taken from the timer, and exploits the excellent characteristics of the timer's output stage. Another point is an application might requre the variable duty cycle period start coincedent with the timer's period. That can not be achieved by using a comparator connected to the timer's capacitor, as in other designs.

Attachments

• VarFreq&Duty.JPG
    VarFreq&Duty.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 530
Here's a similar idea that I was working on last week.
I have included the .ASC file, so anyone with LTspice can simulate it.

Attachments

• independent Freq & D.C. with cap mult.PNG
    independent Freq & D.C. with cap mult.PNG
    32.4 KB · Views: 657
  • 555 astable with cap multiplier.asc
    3.3 KB · Views: 257
I've never seen the capacitance multiplier before.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back