Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

vaporize aluminum wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

George L.

Hello everyone,

I am trying to vaporize a very thin aluminum wire (one strand from a normal wire) to produce a pressure wave that would be able to push a projectile. I have tested the vaporization on an extremely thin strand of wire and it worked. I am tryong to vapoize a longer wire, 5 inches, that is a little thicker(resistance is .8 ohm). I am using eight photoflash capacitors wired in parallel, charged to 330 Volts. The caps are 150 uF each.

To vaporize this wire, do I need more current, or a higer voltage???

Also, if you don't think the vaporization will be able to push a projectle, please tell me because that would mean I am waisting my time :lol: .

Thanks,

George

It is posible to vaporize aluminium, but it has to be done in a vacuum or inert gas atmosphere. Aluminium oxidizes easily and forms a white powder (aluminium oxide). The hot air produced by the arc will be more effective in moving the projectile.

I'd say for a wire of twice the length, you'd use twice the voltage to get the same dynamics per unit of length.

Aluminum wire converting to aluminum oxide does produce a lot of heat from chemical decomposition in addition to the electrical heating from the arc, but it shouldn't produce additional gases to increase the pressure/volume. The increases are only from heating the air.

While it can certainly push things around in some way, I am not sure it will push a projectile in a notably impressive way.

George L. said:
Also, if you don't think the vaporization will be able to push a projectle, please tell me because that would mean I am waisting my time :lol: .
Actually, the US Army started experimenting on a variation of this. The idea was to create a low-caliber round that had an adjustable level of force. So --at the turn of a dial-- it could be used to disperse rioters one minute; and punch a hole through a wall the next. I'm not sure of how successful their tests were, but you may still find it under the Joint Non-Lethal Weapons Directorate pages.

Since, we're on the subject: Is there a formula that can estimate how much energy is required to vaporize a given mass of material? I saw something that looked promising in an old chemistry book, and I was hoping someone might know what I'm talking about.

You will need higher current. You can experiment a little. Get a dc power supply, on one clip, clip on 0.5MM pencil lead. That will make the current go higher. Short the lead and the other wire on aluminum foil and it should work. I always try with 16 volts and 2 amps it works and it is pretty bright when the lead turns orange-red. If you are trying to make a bb gun like thing that shoots metal projectiles with electromagnetic pulses, you will need to short for example your outlet plug in order to make a electromagnetic pulse strong enough.

You will need higher current. You can experiment a little. Get a dc power supply, on one clip, clip on 0.5MM pencil lead. That will make the current go higher. Short the lead and the other wire on aluminum foil and it should work. I always try with 16 volts and 2 amps it works and it is pretty bright when the lead turns orange-red. If you are trying to make a bb gun like thing that shoots metal projectiles with electromagnetic pulses, you will need to short for example your outlet plug in order to make a electromagnetic pulse strong enough.

Do you realize that you are responding to a thread that is over 4 years old :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back