Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

More than one controller for a PT100 3-wire element

Grossel

I have this issue where I have a quit simple, but important heat control system. It's actually a very simple system - if one or more of the PT100 elements reaches a certain temperature, the cooling activates and run until a lower temperature is reached.
There is a request to find out if it is possible to monitor the temperature in real time at another location.

So - this request would be doable if I could just remove the old control element and phurcase a PT100 to modbus converter. However - it turns out the facility is assembled in such a way that the old control panel cannot just be removed like that.

So the problems/limitation for now is as following:
  • The subject to be measured is assembled in such a way that it is impossible to just attach more PT elements (i.e sealed off).
  • The old control panel have to stay put for the foreseeable future.
  • New PT100 converter must use 24V supply voltage.

This is the solution - if it exist at all.
Due to practical company restriction - any solution must exist on marked today.

There must be a device that:
  • Accept one PT100 censor, 3-wire (or several groups of PT100 converters).
  • Two or more outputs - outputs must be isolated from supply voltage and use 3 terminals that resemble/simulates a PT100 element.
  • The output values must be equal and also be equal to the input (i.e. make one PT100 element to be seen as two separate ones)
Or - maybe you folks see another solution that I'm not seeing here ?

So one issue for me - I don't know what an English term for such device should be named. It may exist already, but I'm not able to find a reliable search phrase.

pt100_issue.png

disclaimer : I'm trying to get familiar with some new features of Inkscape 1.3 so I couldn't resist putting in some 'symbols' in the drawing. Anyway, the drawing is only for concept.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back