Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Vacuum Tube Breadboard Adapters

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeusMC

Anything like this, available in UK?

Don't worry :) As a newbie I'm only going to be following along, low DC voltage.

Cheers.

Tubes need BIG parts 400v & 600v capacitors, and BIG resistors, & a big power transformer and 2 audio transformers & a choke, & big filter caps. etc. YOU going to need a much BIGGER breadboard for all those big parts. How you going to build a Dynaco 70 amplifier on that tiny breadboard?

Digikey sells tube sockets from a place called Tube Depot. They have a variety of styles, including with pc pins.

It wouldn't be difficult to lay out circuit boards in the style of those shown to create your own adapters. A minor problem is that drawing of the PCB footprints aren't available, so you're have to get the sockets and make measurements to lay out a circuit board.

Tube Sockets & Adapters | TubeDepot.com

Digikey sells tube sockets from a place called Tube Depot. They have a variety of styles, including with pc pins.

It wouldn't be difficult to lay out circuit boards in the style of those shown to create your own adapters. A minor problem is that drawing of the PCB footprints aren't available, so you're have to get the sockets and make measurements to lay out a circuit board.

Tube Sockets & Adapters | TubeDepot.com
Missed your reply, just read it. Thanks.

Generally for tube stuff, you use fahnstock clips. See https://antiqueradio.org/transmitter.htm

Never heard of them :D

But back in the valve days you simply built things - and a breadboard was something you sliced your bread on, and if you used it for electronics (which is where the name comes from) you knocked nails in it and soldered to them.

But the entire scheme seems flawed anyway - he's talking about running at low voltages, and valves generally don't work properly at low voltages.

I had a quick look at that but couldn't see any mention of it. I then looked on Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahnestock_clip Don't see how that could connect a tube into a breadboard.

See: https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/48516/why-are-they-called-breadboards

Anyway, the idea is that you could attach a socket to a piece of perfboard and put those Fahnstock clips around it. Elevate the socket wit some standoffs and have at it.

I don't like the tube to DIP docket to breadboard idea at all. To screw terminal strips - yes. To those component strips that the old TV's were made from - yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back