Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.
ronsimpson said:
I get to stop working when I die.

Unless you can give a two week notice of your intent to terminate it could reflect poorly on your employment record, you may want to keep that in mind.

Ron

I kind of see heaven as being full of HP Oscopes and fluke meters!! 24 hour turn around on boards,unlimited free licenses to all the best software etc. I bet hell uses Uni T meters and Mastech stuff! Make your own boards by the sharpie pen method, weak ferric chloride!!

I better start being good (tomorrow).

I guess we all have our own little ideas of heaven or at least what heaven should be. Everyday is fair skies with calm winds. The average temperature is 70 degrees F. The ranges are marked off at 200 meters, 300 meters, 500 meters and the great 1,000 meter line. The targets are all pulled and posted with automation. I like it here, I really like it here.
Me and M1A 2.png

Me and AR SP1.png

Yeah, life is good in my heaven.

Ron

I guess we all have our own little ideas of heaven or at least what heaven should be. Everyday is fair skies with calm winds. The average temperature is 70 degrees F. The ranges are marked off at 200 meters, 300 meters, 500 meters and the great 1,000 meter line. The targets are all pulled and posted with automation. I like it here, I really like it here.
View attachment 105362

View attachment 105363

Yeah, life is good in my heaven.

Ron
For us in the UK, that is life imprisonment right there! :D, if I walked down the street with a rubber replica of that, there is a high chance I would be shot (literally) on site.

Funny how no ones idea of heaven mentions women anywhere lol. Maybe we should rename heaven as shed world :p

What is the thing with guns? Serious question, what is it about them that people find them fun??? I have shot a shotgun and used a rifle for pest control (under supervision), but to me it is just a tool. I dont enjoy using them as such, nothing wrong with others enjoying them, but I dont see why people use them for fun??

Its a bit like drill collecting, I have a drill. Its a tool and does a job, I use it but to be honest I wouldnt collect them or use them as a way of having fun. So what makes them fun for you? Genuine question as I know alot of people like them, but I dont really get why.

Interesting question, LG.

Simple matter of preference. Some folks like'm, some don't. I prefer having the option of owning them, rather than have some government tell me that I can't.

Tell me I can't have something and I'll want it even more, especially when those that have them are doing the telling...

Just keeping things equal.

Any fun involved is in the knowing how to use and respect the weapon and, especially, the practicing of their use.

Interesting question, LG.

Simple matter of preference. Some folks like'm, some don't. I prefer having the option of owning them, rather than have some government tell me that I can't.

Tell me I can't have something and I'll want it even more, especially when those that have them are doing the telling...

Just keeping things equal.

Any fun involved is in the knowing how to use and respect the weapon and, especially, the practicing of their use.
I get the ownership side, but its more the fun side I dont get. Perhaps its because I have only used one for pest control, but what interests me is what do others find as the 'fun factor'?

What is the thing with guns? Serious question, what is it about them that people find them fun??? I have shot a shotgun and used a rifle for pest control (under supervision), but to me it is just a tool. I dont enjoy using them as such, nothing wrong with others enjoying them, but I dont see why people use them for fun??

Its a bit like drill collecting, I have a drill. Its a tool and does a job, I use it but to be honest I wouldnt collect them or use them as a way of having fun. So what makes them fun for you? Genuine question as I know alot of people like them, but I dont really get why.

Well I'll tell you my thoughts. Before my dad retired he planned to play golf as often as possible when he did retire. Many of my co-workers enjoyed golf tremendously. This involved getting up at 6:00 AM with the sun, loading your equipment in your car or truck and heading to the golf course. People who play and play avidly simply love the game. Becoming proficient at golf or developing the skills to play well takes work and a high standard of self discipline. I always admired those who play the game and play it well. When I was 8 years old my uncle and grandfather took me on my first hunting trip. Well at age 8 I wasn't really hunting but I got to hang out with my uncle, my grandfather and a friend of my uncle's. My uncle's friend owned a cabin in upstate New York in the country. He gave me a rifle to carry and every day I dragged thet little 22 rifle up and down the mountain. During the afternoons I was given a box of ammunition and allowed, under adult supervision, to target shoot that little rifle. They taught me the basic marksmanship skills to shoot. Shooting and shooting well in a match or competition requires a high standard of self discipline, much like golf. There is holding and squeezing, breathing control and sight picture and alignment. Shooting, much like golf presents a hell of a challenge. You have to work at it to be proficient.

All good things come to an end and when that weekend ended I was given that little rifle. About 10 or 12 years ago my uncle celebrated his 75th birthday and my mom (his sister) as well as my sisters and brother all went back to NY for the party. My uncle's lifelong friend Charlie was there and spoke of that weekend in 1958. I looked at Charlie, smiled and told him I still had that little rifle from about 50 years ago (at the time). He was absolutely amazed as I told him that little rifle started my life long love of the shooting sports. My view of a hobby I pursue with a passion is that same view many have of golf. Here in the US we still have a right, a constitutional right, to have arms. I am grateful for that right. I do not play golf, I have tried it but was never drawn to it like the shooting sports.

Rimfires1.png

The Remington 510P on the top is the little .22 rifle that started it all. Over the years I have accumulated quite a few rifles with a collection of the older .22 rifles. Good marksmanship skills take work and effort. Eventually most of what I have will be handed down to grandchildren. I make my view real simple, if people dislike guns, don't own one but never tell me what I should and should not own. Owning a firearm in the US is not a privilege like having a driver's license, it's a constitutional guaranteed right.

Ron

Insert Caption Here :)

"Go Ahead, Change my Design"

me-and-ar-sp1-png.105363

Actually during my career when people disagreed with me my boss would have them ask me how I spent my weekends. During the early and mid 1990s my wife and I owned a brick and mortar gun shop so of course we had business cards, my boss would tell me to hand those who disagreed a business card. :)

Ron

Insert Caption Here :)

"Go Ahead, Change my Design"

me-and-ar-sp1-png.105363
I changed it to this :D

dog.png

RON
That may well explain why I dont understand it..........
Over here Guns (apart from skeet shooting) are pretty much a tool, yes we have deer stalking etc, but the big difference here is guns are seen mainly as a tool. There isnt the freedom to simply own a rifle and shoot, guns are so tightly controlled I think any kind of 'fun', has pretty much a non starter.

Obviously you get a few exceptions, but on the whole you need a good reason to own a gun. In Scotland the situation is worse than England, here we need a firearms license for an airgun. The irony being my mum holds a license for a shotgun and firearms license for a rifle, this is for Deer control and human dispatch of animals (cows etc). The shotgun is mainly pest control, but I use the rifle sometimes for fox's, when the airgun law came in recently we applied to have it added to the firearms license, its low powered and we were turned down!

Pretty much every shot we take needs a reason, if I shot say 20 rounds from the rifle in 40 mins, I can pretty much guarantee someone would call the police.
Apart from zeroing in the scope, the only shots I ever take are to do a job. I dont think I would even feel comfortable taking a shot without a 'reason'. In the back of your mind is always what if, what if the police show up? So its very much like as long as you have a good reason then its ok, I just couldnt imagine the police showing up and me saying, oh I was just shooting for the hell of it!
Skeet shooting is ok, but for what it is, the cost of shotgun shells makes it an expensive hobby.

Fun can be running the table for 147 points while playing snooker. The joy you feel about that accomplishment is the same one would get being on target at 1000 meters.

Both require knowledge and skills.

It wasn't point and click for that British sniper would took out the enemy at over a mile and a half. He had the knowledge and skills to do so. I don't think the act of killing someone was joyous, but I do think the act of hitting my target is.

If your hunting for food, whether using a fishing rod or a firearm, they require skill.

Don't confuse skill with the spray and pray technique used by some or their frame of mind when they kill innocent people.

Fun can be running the table for 147 points while playing snooker. The joy you feel about that accomplishment is the same one would get being on target at 1000 meters.

Both require knowledge and skills.

It wasn't point and click for that British sniper would took out the enemy at over a mile and a half. He had the knowledge and skills to do so. I don't think the act of killing someone was joyous, but I do think the act of hitting my target is.

If your hunting for food, whether using a fishing rod or a firearm, they require skill.

Don't confuse skill with the spray and pray technique used by some or their frame of mind when they kill innocent people.

It dosnt have anything to do with killing or being anti guns, I honestly think its much harder for us here to get it. Hard to enjoy something when you have to justify every aspect of what your doing, even harder to enjoy when every time you take a shot you risk scaring someone. Its not too bad in my area as its a farming area, but we do/did get tourists and they report gun shots.

I have only shot a gun a few times, every time I had a reason to do it. I am not even sure if its legal for me to use our rifle, but my mum has been with me and I am a better shot (much better). So on the couple of occasions its been needed I have taken the shot. We get alot of Deer around here, I live off one of the main routes in Scotland, even though we are fairly remote. So Deer get hit by lorries (we are not far from a ferries port) and cars now and then, normally they killed outright. But once in a while one will stagger onto our land (only place we can shoot ). It would take too long to get a vet or the police firearms unit here, and if our neighbour is out then the Deer would suffer. So thats one reason we have it, the other is because we used to keep cattle in Devon. Once in a blue moon you might have to put one down.

So its probably different cultures, and army marksmen are trained and shoot without fear of prosecution. I dont get any joy from killing an animal, but I prefer to kill it than have it suffer. I also prefer to take care of fox's etc myself, not because I enjoy it but simply because I dont get others to do my dirty work.

I know you don't shoot often LG. Most country kids get their start with weapons by shooting varmints. Some start with youth hunts, where they get a deer that feeds their family. I test my skills to know where the round is going. Pray and Spray is not a technique I use.

I know I spend a lot of time on the range before I go hunting. To make sure my weapon is properly sited for 100 yards, and I know that 1 inch high at 100 yards is dead on at 200 yards. The area I hunted, I doubt there is more than 75 yards opening between the tree lines. I scouted the area and did see some longer range shots were available if I decided to trek into those during the hunt.

My .22 is sited for 50 yards. I know the round drops four inches at 100 yards. I was using a 25 yard target at 50 yards with the 22. I shot ten rounds into target and one was outside the bull. I was disappointed, but the person next to me said ... good shooting. I told him not good enough by my standards. When I was siting the weapon in at 25 yards the first time, a horse fly landed on the target. Well, I missed the horse fly by a quarter inch. I thought, when I get home, I'm going to see if I can find a graphic of a gnat walking away, so I can add it to the target. That way I could tell someone exactly how the weapon was sited. I also added some horse flies.

Is it fun to test your skills? Certainly. You test your skills, in the world of electronics frequently. You test your vocabulary skills when you respond in these forums. You test your ability to communicate a cogent sentence in hopes the reader's comprehension is within the grasp of your intent.

There are people who guide hunters. A friend of mine does a few "veteran" hunts where typically disabled veterans go on a hunt. From the pictures I've seen, there was good camaraderie and fellowship during these events. I've seen a few guides who volunteered their time, landowners volunteered their land or hunting lodges.

All of this gets erased by people who use weapons for senseless killings. No one rails against the killers, instead they attempt to go after the guns. All the gun laws in the world will NOT curtail a criminal from obtaining a gun. I'm sure you have heard the term "black market."

I'm glad your a good shot. I don't think I'll be reading about xxxx, aka Little Ghostman, being on trial for a senseless killing.

I know you don't shoot often LG. Most country kids get their start with weapons by shooting varmints. Some start with youth hunts, where they get a deer that feeds their family. I test my skills to know where the round is going. Pray and Spray is not a technique I use.

I know I spend a lot of time on the range before I go hunting. To make sure my weapon is properly sited for 100 yards, and I know that 1 inch high at 100 yards is dead on at 200 yards. The area I hunted, I doubt there is more than 75 yards opening between the tree lines. I scouted the area and did see some longer range shots were available if I decided to trek into those during the hunt.

My .22 is sited for 50 yards. I know the round drops four inches at 100 yards. I was using a 25 yard target at 50 yards with the 22. I shot ten rounds into target and one was outside the bull. I was disappointed, but the person next to me said ... good shooting. I told him not good enough by my standards. When I was siting the weapon in at 25 yards the first time, a horse fly landed on the target. Well, I missed the horse fly by a quarter inch. I thought, when I get home, I'm going to see if I can find a graphic of a gnat walking away, so I can add it to the target. That way I could tell someone exactly how the weapon was sited. I also added some horse flies.

Is it fun to test your skills? Certainly. You test your skills, in the world of electronics frequently. You test your vocabulary skills when you respond in these forums. You test your ability to communicate a cogent sentence in hopes the reader's comprehension is within the grasp of your intent.

There are people who guide hunters. A friend of mine does a few "veteran" hunts where typically disabled veterans go on a hunt. From the pictures I've seen, there was good camaraderie and fellowship during these events. I've seen a few guides who volunteered their time, landowners volunteered their land or hunting lodges.

All of this gets erased by people who use weapons for senseless killings. No one rails against the killers, instead they attempt to go after the guns. All the gun laws in the world will NOT curtail a criminal from obtaining a gun. I'm sure you have heard the term "black market."

I'm glad your a good shot. I don't think I'll be reading about xxxx, aka Little Ghostman, being on trial for a senseless killing.

I agree with alot of what your saying, the main difference being I simply dont have a choice. If I tried to spend the day with the rifle practising, I can absolutely guarantee a visit from the police, most likely armed. But you might not understand how serious that is here, you have armed police and we dont. So when ours turn up, most of the time its in a hard stop way, highly aggressive weapons drawn and there is a real risk of being shot if you dont do exactly as told.

From the police side of it, they are not used to seeing regular people with guns. Mostly when they attend a report of someone with a gun, the person is doing something bad! Ironically where I am I get the worse of all worlds, I live remotely amongst farmers, but the road I live on is heavily policed by traffic police from a city. I have a car pull in on the road right outside our driveway. its nothing to do with us, but cars and that stop in it for a rest etc. They hear me 1/4 mile up the drive shooting and its on the phone (999 here), screaming they can hear shots fired. Its not the locals but mostly people passing through.

No idea about Gun control, we have tough gun laws but few shootings. However look at recent events here, proves you dont need a gun to kill people. So I dont have an answer, one thing you said is very true........Bad people are going to do bad things, the same way the new drink drive limit had no affect. Simply because those that are going to drink and drive, will do so regardless what the limit is.

Maybe if I grew up in your country I would find guns fun, but its hard to enjoy something when you have to look over your shoulder all the time. The skill aspect I can understand, I grew up with an airgun in Devon. But up here now you cant own one without a very hard to get license, this law is pretty stupid, not so much because air riffles are hard to get, but because its easier to get a license for a shotgun! I know which I prefer to be pointed at me from 20 meters :D

I'm sure your neighbors would be alerted, but I guess that's why there could be a club or something of that sorts in your area. The same would happen in just about any large city. Unfortunately when the cities become too large, the gunfire could be a normal occurrence and is not reported. Think Chicago and NYC size.

I'm sure your neighbors would be alerted, but I guess that's why there could be a club or something of that sorts in your area. The same would happen in just about any large city. Unfortunately when the cities become too large, the gunfire could be a normal occurrence and is not reported. Think Chicago and NYC size.
Rifle and gun clubs are few and far in the UK. Oddly we do have one around 4 miles from here! But its a gun shop as well and only a small range. The neighbours are farmers, they wouldnt bat an eye.
Kind of related in a way, I have started playing darts!! Absolutely hopeless at it :D.

You'll get better at darts, watch the form of the good players, and most will Coach you if you asked.
Soon your muscle memory will take over and it will become easier.

Enjoy yourself. Have fun.

You'll get better at darts, watch the form of the good players, and most will Coach you if you asked.
Soon your muscle memory will take over and it will become easier.

Enjoy yourself. Have fun.
Glad I never took up javelin! I can now successfully hit the wall the board is on, thats a big improvement lol. I need different glasses for darts, mine seem to have an aim fault in them:sorry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back