Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

UV generator based on a spark gap

Status
Not open for further replies.

v4000ds

I want to make an ultraviolet generator based on a spark gap in air. I tried using a drill motor as this.
To do this, I covered the contacts on the commutator with a marker to make the contact worse. Supplied 19.8 V from laptop charging, serial connection of electromagnets with rotor windings, 15 ohms. The current was about 1A.
After about 20 minutes of rotation of the engine, the brushes were worn off.

Instead of carbon brushes, I started using copper wires, they burn out faster, but give a larger spark.
I get even more spark using tin soldering wire.
My question is what can be used to cover the commutator and which brushes (tin, copper, etc) should be used to generate the largest spark?

Anything that is sparking is burning away.

Why not just make a carbon arc type source? They are simple and emit large quantities of UV, plus carbon rods are cheap.

You can use a solenoid with a small number of turns of heavy wire in series with the arc setup to pull one of the rods away from the other and regulate the current.

Edit - examples:

**broken link removed**

Why are you making UV? To blind and burn the skin off somebody?

Attachments

• UV.png
    UV.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 157
Why not just make a carbon arc type source? They are simple and emit large quantities of UV, plus carbon rods are cheap.
Because my parents won't let me buy carbon electrodes. In Ukraine 1 kg of a carbon electrode costs $ 2-3. I have a lot of copper and tin, I don’t need to buy it. Not long ago I started doing electroplating.
I have different metals (in the composition of salts, substances) - iron (transformers), aluminum (radiators), copper (wires), mangan&zinc (ferrites), barium (in copper wires), strontium (ferrites), tantalum (capacitor), titanium (hdd), zirconium (radio tubes), magnesium (hdd), neodymium&nickel (magnets), sodium (NaCl), potassium (KOH capacitors, batteries), lithium (Li-ion accumulators ), silver (CDs, relays), gold&platinum (radio parts). I can cover the commutator with anything.
I want to do fluorescence microscopy. My parents do not want to buy me a ready-made ultraviolet source (lamp, LED), so I have to do it myself. The most accessible option for me - from the motor from the drill.
In addition to receiving sparks on brushes, it is possible from the motor a pulse source of high voltage. To do this, connect the brushes in series with the diode, and put the diode and capacitor in the opposite direction. I will probably make such an option.

Maybe the parents of the kid smartly did not want him to buy things for him to go blind and burn his skin.

Sometimes when I weld and it's a small job, I just do it quickly without gloves. Every time, my (left) hand gets sever sunburn. Arcs give out a lot of UV.

Do you have a welder?

Mike.

If it's a spark gap, all of them.

Mike.
" I want to do fluorescence microscopy. My parents do not want to buy me a ready-made ultraviolet source (lamp, LED), so I have to do it myself "
He will need to filter it to get exact wavelenght.
I have zero knowledge in this. I dont think excitation filter is adjustable. Or is it? He will need to swap it to change wavelenght i think
working-of-fluorescence-microscopy.jpg

Last edited:
I also have zero knowledge in this .
But the scheme is wrong. The glass microscope absorbs ultraviolet light.

The most striking example of fluorescence occurs when the absorbed radiation is in the ultraviolet region of the spectrum, and thus invisible to the human eye, while the emitted light is in the visible region, which gives the fluorescent substance a distinct color that can be seen only when exposed to UV light.
NameAbbreviationWavelength
(nm)
Photon energy
(eV, aJ)
Notes/alternative names
Ultraviolet CUVC100–2804.43–12.4,
0.710–1.987
Short-wave, germicidal, completely absorbed by the ozone layer and atmosphere: hard UV.
Ultraviolet BUVB280–3153.94–4.43,
0.631–0.710
Medium-wave, mostly absorbed by the ozone layer: intermediate UV; Dorno [de] radiation.
Ultraviolet AUVA315–4003.10–3.94,
0.497–0.631
Long-wave, black light, not absorbed by the ozone layer: soft UV.

Extreme ultravioletEUV10–12110.25–124,
1.642–19.867
Entirely ionizing radiation by some definitions; completely absorbed by the atmosphere.
Vacuum ultravioletVUV10–2006.20–124,
0.993–19.867
Strongly absorbed by atmospheric oxygen, though 150–200 nm wavelengths can propagate through nitrogen.
scr.png

You can't see uv which is why you use a fluorescent dye, so it gets converted to a wavelength you can see.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back