Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Utilizing Old Mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahesh_jo

I have an old Logitech 3 button mouse in working condition. Now I want to dismentle it and utilize some parts of it. Is any body has any idea about utilizing old mouse parts, circuits and encoders.

-Mahesh Joshi
Bhopal, India.

There isn't much interesting inside an old ball mouse. The only interesting thing would be the IR transmitters - receivers that are used to count the gaps in the movement wheels. The rest is normally all done by a µController (wich probabely cannot be reprogrammed, they use OTP to keep it cheap)

Thanks. Can we use these IR Transmitter-Receiver to display a counter, how many times the wheel is spinning? I want a digital display.

-Mahesh Joshi

So, You want a display thet counts when you move the mouse? That's easy to do .... with a pic

hey guys i thought of this too.

i was wondering if i could use the circuitry already in the mouse and use it as a counter. for that i need to know about the power and data wires. does somebody know about the wires in a PS/2 mouse. what are the color codes. i know it would be better if i made a counter myself. but why not use the uP in the mouse.

**broken link removed**
explains the connections for any PS/2 device, including power and ground.

Making a counter by using the µC already in the mouse would be a big way around. The µC doesn't send pulses or something back to the pc, but formatted data packets using the PS/2 protocol (also explained on the above site). So you would need some kind of second µC to decode the PS/2 information sent by the µC in the mouse. It would be far less work to just remove the original µC and replace it with a pic and do the counting directly.

Unless, of course, you can reprogram the µC of the mouse, but like i said before, they mostly use OTP devices.

thanx Exo

i understand that using the uC of the mouse is a tough bussiness. and making a counter is very simple. and if i would be designing a system i would have made my own. but that was just a thought that came to me. thanx for the reply and the link. i needed that knowledge about PS/2 devices

what about using the mouse with a robot to determine its position?
or mesure the distance from something to something by mooving the mouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back