using small DPDT switches to select speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

denno

Hi all,

I would like to connect two sets of speakers up to my hi-fi system, however only have one set running at any one time, which is selected using a DPDT switch. I have included a picture to indicate what I mean, so hopefully it'll tell a thousand words so everyone understands what I'm trying to do.

Specs

Switch: ON-ON || 3A 250VAC || 6A 120VAC
Speaker Set 1: Impedance 8-Ohms
Speaker Set 2: Impedance 6-Ohms
Hi-Fi Amp: Power Output 95W + 95W (at 6 Ohms, 1kHz, 1% THD) [values pulled straight from it's book]

If you need any more clarification then please do ask .

Thanks
Denno

Attachments

• Speakers Switch Diagram.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 478
Looks okay to me. If you want to do it with one switch, you could use a 4PDT type.

thanks for the reply mate. Sorry I didn't acknowledge it sooner but I didn't know that I had any replies.. Email notification didn't work grr.

Anyways, thanks , I'll feel safe enough to give it a crack then.

You only need to switch one lead, I would suppose.
SPDT would work. Connect all the grounds together.

Or parallel the switch contacts to share the current and use the DPDT.

Last edited:
If this is a higher power audio system it may not be too good of an idea to hard switch the speakers under power. The amplifier itself isn't going to like to go from a loaded to unloaded condition instantly, and the unload speakers are not going to like being switched if there's a peak on the line. Aside from some nasty ticks and pops when you switch the speakers there's a chance for speaker damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…