Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

using small DPDT switches to select speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

denno

Hi all,

I would like to connect two sets of speakers up to my hi-fi system, however only have one set running at any one time, which is selected using a DPDT switch. I have included a picture to indicate what I mean, so hopefully it'll tell a thousand words so everyone understands what I'm trying to do.

Specs

Switch: ON-ON || 3A 250VAC || 6A 120VAC
Speaker Set 1: Impedance 8-Ohms
Speaker Set 2: Impedance 6-Ohms
Hi-Fi Amp: Power Output 95W + 95W (at 6 Ohms, 1kHz, 1% THD) [values pulled straight from it's book]

If you need any more clarification then please do ask :).

Thanks
Denno

Attachments

• Speakers Switch Diagram.jpg
    Speakers Switch Diagram.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 475
Looks okay to me. If you want to do it with one switch, you could use a 4PDT type.

thanks for the reply mate. Sorry I didn't acknowledge it sooner but I didn't know that I had any replies.. Email notification didn't work grr.

Anyways, thanks :), I'll feel safe enough to give it a crack then.

You only need to switch one lead, I would suppose.
SPDT would work. Connect all the grounds together.

Or parallel the switch contacts to share the current and use the DPDT.

Last edited:
If this is a higher power audio system it may not be too good of an idea to hard switch the speakers under power. The amplifier itself isn't going to like to go from a loaded to unloaded condition instantly, and the unload speakers are not going to like being switched if there's a peak on the line. Aside from some nasty ticks and pops when you switch the speakers there's a chance for speaker damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back