Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using Schottky Rectifiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scubasteve

Hey all,

I have been wandering about using some schottky in a bridge rectifier because of their much lower forward drop (350mV typical) voltage. Is there any problems with using these diodes in this application?

Also, I have designed a voltage quadrupler with ~1000uF capacitors (these were found to be optimal) with silicon diodes, can I expect this to work okay with schottky diodes also? I am just leary that I am missing a spec or something that would render these useless, but I am probably wrong.

I guess people don't use these often for such things because of their expense over regular silicon diodes..

Anyone have any insight?

Steve

Using Schottky's in a bridge is an expensive way of doing it.......but as you say lower forward v drop, but is it really necessary to go this far ?

Schottky's may be faster but this attribute isnt really needed if you are just rectifying std 50/60 hz.......

I also believe using them in such a way gives rise to extraneous radiation(RF spikes) caused by their fast switching action........something I read along the way, a while back, so they need extra caps across them to alleviate this to some degree.....

My opinion, stick with the Silicon counter part, cheaper :)

As for the multiplier, yeah should work, again costly.

Hi Chippie,

Thanks for your reply, it is good to know that these will work for my application. I need the low forward voltage dtop, I am actually getting a good regulated 5Vdc from a 6.3Vac output on a transformer.. (0.35mV drop X 2 + 300mV LDO Regulator at 3A)

I know that the transformer is at its RMS value, but I want to be safe.. The manufacturer actually didn't specify voltage under no-load and load, should I assume that it can put out 6.3VacRMS under its full rated 1.6A load?

Thanks again!!,

Steve

"should I assume that it can put out 6.3VacRMS under its full rated 1.6A load? "

If that is what the manufacturer claims then it should deliver the full rated output

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back