Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

using PIC's

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstechca

I have an LCD which I seldomly use, and a 64K EPROM which I also seldomly use. I want to be able to use a processor and get my other components to good use.

Nigel has produced a page on PIC's, but I still have some questions:

#1. What is input according to the chip? Data set "A" or data set "B"?
#2. Do I provide the chip processor codes? if so, where can I find the codes?
#3. Because there are different chips that start with PIC, (like 16F628, and 16F84) Is there a big difference if I choose a different number?

mstechca said:
I have an LCD which I seldomly use, and a 64K EPROM which I also seldomly use. I want to be able to use a processor and get my other components to good use.

An EPROM isn't much use with a PIC, but the LCD should be useful.

Nigel has produced a page on PIC's, but I still have some questions:

#1. What is input according to the chip? Data set "A" or data set "B"?

Most I/O pins can be set as either, although there are a few exceptions, these are mentioned in the datasheet - the TRIS registers set the direction of the pins.

I don't really understand the question?, but the assembler instructions are listed in the datasheet, and also in the MPASM helpfile.

#3. Because there are different chips that start with PIC, (like 16F628, and 16F84) Is there a big difference if I choose a different number?

16F means it's a 14 bit core device, these will all be very similar, but there are minor hardware differences, and the software needs to take account of those.

I don't really understand the question?, but the assembler instructions are listed in the datasheet, and also in the MPASM helpfile.

What data do I send to the chip? do I send codes the chip accepts, or could I send anything?

mstechca said:

What data do I send to the chip? do I send codes the chip accepts, or could I send anything?

The chip is basically a computer, you send it a computer program!.

You can write the program in assembler, then assemble it with MPASM/MPLAB - this produces a .HEX file, which a programmer then transfers to the PIC. Or you can use various high level languages, BASIC, C, etc. these are then converted to assembler (compiled), then converted to a .HEX by an assembler as before (often this is a single step process, as far as the user is concerned).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back