Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using PIC16F628 on the JDM Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone knows if i can use the pic 16f628 on the JDM pic Programmer without an adaptor. I know it says "PIC16F84 only" but the programing pins are the same so will it work?

thanks

Yes, JDM works with many pics (if it works at all on your pc)
Ic-prog would do this.

Thanks for the tip.

I found the JDM programmer to be quit good in working on my computer but the trouble is using it on a faster Pentium 4 Processor because of the delay time.
Is there any other simple PIC Programmer I could use thats guaranteed to work and is free!

thanks

electronics_freak said:
I found the JDM programmer to be quit good in working on my computer but the trouble is using it on a faster Pentium 4 Processor because of the delay time.
Is there any other simple PIC Programmer I could use thats guaranteed to work and is free!

It's more likely to be a serial port problem (common with JDM), rather than a speed one, the speed is determined by the program not the hardware.

If it is a speed problem, caused by limitations of the software you are using, try using IC-Prog instead.

Any of the parallel port programmers would probably be OK, my personal preference is for P16PRO40 derived ones - you could either use IC-Prog, or my software WinPicProg - both of which are free.

I am currently using IC-Prog and when i try programming a pic through JDM On a Pentium 4 rather than a Pentium 1, it always turns out with a problem whilst trying to verify.
Does WinPic alow programming through the serial port?

thanks

electronics_freak said:
I am currently using IC-Prog and when i try programming a pic through JDM On a Pentium 4 rather than a Pentium 1, it always turns out with a problem whilst trying to verify.

It's most probably the serial port on the Pentium 4 that isn't able to supply high enough voltage for the JDM programmer - it's a well known problem, there are various mods (involving external power) to overcome it.

Does WinPic alow programming through the serial port?

No, WinPicProg only supports parallel port programmers, I don't consider the 'serial port' programmers reliable enough to offer support for them.

Does WinPicProg support the P16PRO Programmer beacause i was just looking at the schematics and thought i might try it.
If not what software can i use for it.

Are you sure that the P16PRO Programmer will work on any computer, even one with Win xp.

electronics_freak said:
Does WinPicProg support the P16PRO Programmer beacause i was just looking at the schematics and thought i might try it.
If not what software can i use for it.

Yes, it supports it, the P16PRO40 is the main programmer I use, and the diagram is available to download on my website at http://www.winpicprog.co.uk along with the software.

Are you sure that the P16PRO Programmer will work on any computer, even one with Win xp.

I've tested it under Win XP, although I still use the more popular Win98SE myself - as to working on 'any computer', there's always an occasional one with a port too non-standard to work, but everyone I've tried has always worked fine.

electronics_freak said:
Do you have any PCB Artwork for the P16PRO Programmer beacause I'm not very good at creating it.

Have a look at the authors site at where there are some PCB layouts. There are also a list of places where you can buy kits, these are generally very reasonably priced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back