Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using p-chan mosfet to control power to MCU

Status
Not open for further replies.

somespirit

Hi there- I'm familiar with p-chan mosfets, but I've only ever used them with dedicated drivers or 12-15V source.

I'm looking to use a p-chan mosfet to enable one MCU to control power to a secondary MCU (see attached).

Will this switch adequately? i.e., will the pull up resistor from gate to source work okay at just 3.3V? The plan is obviously for the secondary MCU to turn ON when the primary MCU pulls it's output LOW.

thanks!

Attachments

• mcu power.png
    mcu power.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 427
Depends entirely on the what the threshold voltage for the PFet is. To save quiescent current drain, you can leave out the 1KΩ, and up the gate-to-source resistor to ~100KΩ, or if port pin doing the switching has an active pull-up , leave it out...

If you can find a small PFet with a threshold of -1 to -2V, it will work. Otherwise, assuming you are switching about 50mA, use a PNP like a 2N3906, with a base resistor of about 1.5KΩ

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips- I think I understand all that. Generally I've assumed the resistor on the MCU output is essential for protection, but I'm usually controlling motor driver stages... in this case, where the MCU output is rated for 20mA, and the secondary MCU can draw ~50mA max, the gate resistor really isn't needed?

The IRLML5103PbF has a gate threshold of -1.0V and Rds of 0.6Ohm, so it sounds way more than capable of what I need!

Edit: gave wrong product name for the part I have in mind

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back