Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using LInux as a developing platform

Status
Not open for further replies.
My system

Hi

I am running the latest version of Ubantu and use Piklab or MPLAB 8.10 (under Wine) both of which work very well. For PCB layouts and schematics I use KiCad. I am also rnning VirtualBox for any windows specific requirements. However one think to note is I was advised to fun the full version of VirtualBox (downloaded from Sun) rather than VirtualBox OSE which ships with the Ubantu Distribution, the OSE version gave me some problems which were corrected in the full version. Hope this is of some help and happy computing :D

Rupert

Ok does anyone know of a sim software like Proteus (for those how dont know it its a schematic, layout and you can test most of PIC software) for Linux??

Software Simulation

Have a look at YaPIDE it may not be as good as Proteus but as I don't have windows :eek:

Ok does anyone know of a sim software like Proteus (for those how dont know it its a schematic, layout and you can test most of PIC software) for Linux??

on the uC simulation side, nothing as near as usable as ISIS :( - this is the main reason I do not do elco dev on Linux (and do everything else on linux). I heard that some old versions of ISIS work under wine but 6.x and 7.x do not work neither under wine1.0 nor under crossover.

The yapide is cool but work only for 16F628 and I never had big need to simulate 628.. it is a simple chip ..

The schematic capture and PCB is not a prob, there's eagle - free version is usually enough and it works well. There is also geda+gspiceui (gnu-cap and ng-spice) for some basic simulation on analog stuff ... very useful especially if you are familiar with spice.

gabe, you have to recompile modules with virtualbox too, but with vmware every second time kernel module do not want to recompile .. maybe they fixed it but I'm so satisfied with virtualbox now that there is no way I'm trying vmware any more :)

gabenc, vmware server is free but have issues with 64bit linux, and have issue with many linux distro's ... every time you upgrade kernel you have to spend time fixing it ... and often it does not work at all (especially on 64bit fedora)...

on the other hand, virtualbox works fine, without any glitches and is 5-15% faster then vmware (that is not measured but just a feeling)

Are you using 4gb of ram or more on your Linux machine?, if not you can run the less problematic 32 bit software. I have an AMD64 w/ 3gb ram and with 2 seperate users logged in with browsers, rdp consoles to windows machines, etc etc I never touch the swap.
I want to find time to try some virtual machine stuff and run an XP session to do my Pic stuff.
Mike.

gabe, you have to recompile modules with virtualbox too, but with vmware every second time kernel module do not want to recompile .. maybe they fixed it but I'm so satisfied with virtualbox now that there is no way I'm trying vmware any more :)
No idea what you mean by "every second time", never ran into that problem. Been running vmware since '01. It has gotten ALOT better since those early days, kinda like linux. Remember having to compile everything from source for slip/ppp connections? urgh. Don't miss those days at all.

But I digress. Just downloaded virtualbox and looking forward to putting it through the ringer.

I love this board. :D

Last edited:
every second time ... on FC7 after first update it stopped working, I had to use some script to modify whatever to make the module ... then on FC8 it was not working at all, on FC9 was working for 1 month and then stopped, then I removed it and installed virtualbox :D

anyhow, with linux piklab + boost or c18 works great (you must have wine) .. I'm just used to altium for PCB and ISIS for simulation .. and those do not work .. Eagle works but I just like altium better

It's really a bad idea, there's very little Linux software out there, and none from the chip manufacturers - Windows still rules the world I'm afraid.
There's lots of stuff for Linux on the embedded and server scene, it's just the desktop which is a bit hit and miss: Linux is used in many commercial products from mobile phones to firewalls, to set-top boxes.

hero, we are talking about desktop ... if you need rtos you will definetely not go m$ ... 80% of WiFi AP's run linux, 80% of routers, 70% of satellite receivers, 80% of media players.. there is 75% chance (99% if you are member of this forum) that you have at least one device running linux in your house.. but for desktop .. filter design tools from AD, all the sim utilities (ISIS, EWB, NI ..) ... all the dev tools ... now, some of it work under wine but if 80% of your applications are working under wine - what is the point of linux desktop when you have native windoze solution for those 20% you have natively on linux ?!

that is the whole point ... I use linux as 90% of my apps run nativly on linux and I cannot use them on windoze .. but when electronics is in question ... you oscilloscope talk with windoze - not linux :(, you fancy desktop multimeter that you paid 2000$ for talk with windoze .. your data acquisition module talk with, you got it - windoze ... you wife got you the fancy logic analyser and - damn .. it can only talk to windoze - I do not like windoze, I use linux where I can, but for electronics ... geda, pcb designer, AWV, gnu-cap, ng-spice, piklab, pikdev, eagle .. it is just not enough :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back