Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

using HDD motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fever

hi all
i recently dismattled my old HDD for its head driving motor.i dono what it is.imean servo or some thing else.it looks same as in the below picture(having 4 terminals).now i want to use this motor for my project.this motor shld run Continuously when ever power is switched on(dam good if circuit consist of speed control).so if any one know how to drive it
pls help me
thanks

**broken link removed**

HDD motors are usually stepper motors. You need to have a stepper IC to control.

thanks
is there any way i can use the Hard disk logic circuit stuff to drive the motor.insted of building a new circuit.
actually i want circuit as small as possible.

What is your project. :?:

I have not tried with a HDD logic ckt but used some other simple ckts to drive my stepper motor which is connected to a camera to take photos in the night sky and the camera moves according to the movement of the earth. :!: This ckt is simple but there is a dedicated IC.

If you wish I can give that ckt to you so you may try it on your project.

Ravi
Colombo
Sri Lanka

fever said:
hi all
i recently dismattled my old HDD for its head driving motor.i dono what it is.imean servo or some thing else.it looks same as in the below picture(having 4 terminals).now i want to use this motor for my project.this motor shld run Continuously when ever power is switched on(dam good if circuit consist of speed control).so if any one know how to drive it

The head is usually moved by a voice coil assembly (like a speaker), stepper motors haven't been used for years in hard drives.

Take a look here

**broken link removed**

High fever? Aspirine from time to time...

Buena suerte

Agustín Tomás

As mentioned, steppers have not been used in a HDD since they went over 100MB or so. HDDs use a voice coil to position the heads to achieve faster seek times. The photo provided by the OP is the spindle drive motor. This motor does NOT run all the time, being controlled by a logic signal from the computer so that the drive can be shut down for power saving modes, etc. The spindle drive motor, like that for the head motor in a VCR, uses Hall-effect sensors in a brushless DC motor circuit.

Dean

thanks for ur replies
iam not talking abt voice coil motor.as u can see this motor drive the platter(on which data is being written).
it consist of 4 terminals.and it is running at 2000-3000 rpm.

i just found this circuit .have a look.**broken link removed**

in this clock he is using built in pulser to drive the disk driver motor(**broken link removed**).can u guys seperate the circuit from rest.is it possible?

fever said:
iam not talking abt voice coil motor.as u can see this motor drive the platter(on which data is being written).

But you specified 'head motor' in your original post?. Which is why we all replied that it didn't look like one!.

As for the motor circuit, the lower right part (4011 and IRFZ44) are for transmitting to the clock board, the rest looks to be for making the motor work.

ya sorry i did mentioned that. i thought that head is nothing but the platter. sorry for the wrong question.
can u guys give me the modified diagram of this circuit(circuit i mentioned above)
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back