Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

using cat5 networking cable for other electrical works

Status
Not open for further replies.

skmdmasud

Hi..
after installing WiFi i am left with lots of CAT5 twisted pair cables so i was thinking that can i use this cable in in various projects like lighting up 1 watt leds or using it as 220VAC wall outlet extension cable etc... the copper twisted wire looks like it can handle good load and if i join the 4 wires pairs into 2 pairs then it can carry even more load...

Regards...

You can use it for power within the current limit of the wire, but the insulation is rated for no more than 48VDC so you can't use it to carry mains power.

using it as 220VAC wall outlet extension cable
A seriously BAD idea.
Dont do it!

JimB

When the wrong wire sets your house on fire then the fire department will tell your insurance company that the wrong wire set the house on fire then they pay NOTHING.

I've used cat 5 for security camera's both with and without the proper balun, its on my doorbell and in my garage connected up to a couple of old car speakers, its usefull stuff.
But as said dont connect it up to the mains.

strip or burn the insulation off, put it in a bottle and cover it with muriatic acid, in short order the acid will turn brown, or blue or green and the liquid can then be poured on a camp fire for a lovely blue & green flame. I don't know if there is a toxic emission or not, but it sure is pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back