Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using Capacitors as Energy storage device - eliminating the phase differ between voltage & current

Status
Not open for further replies.

HRITHU O A

I constantly read that capacitors provide reactive power. So how are they used instead of a battery? I mean in a battery the voltage and current are in the same phase. How is the phase change between the voltage and current in a capacitor eliminated without using an inductor, to use capacitor as a power source?

There are a few things wrong with your information.
I constantly read that capacitors provide reactive power.
No. A capacitor provides a reactive impedance. How it behaves in a circuit (any circuit) depends entirely on the circuit.
So how are they used instead of a battery?
A battery stores charge in a different manner than does a battery, but charge is charge. In terms of comparing it to a battery of the same physical size, a capacitor holds less charge, can be charged to a high voltage, and has a very steep discharge curve. The good news is that it can be recharged almost instantly.
I mean in a battery the voltage and current are in the same phase.
This is an incorrect expansion of a narrow condition. The phase of the voltage and current are set by whatever the load is, not by the power source. If the load is a simple resistor, the voltage and current are in phase no matter what the source is; battery, capacitor, generator, whatever. If the load is a capacitor, then while it is charging from a DC source the current and voltage are not in phase no matter what the source is.
How is the phase change between the voltage and current in a capacitor eliminated without using an inductor, to use capacitor as a power source?
See above. Phase change in the way you mean it does not exist.

ak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back