Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using an amplifier with a PIR sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pic_programm3r

hi,

i am having a problem detecting output changes from a PIR sensor module that is connected to a PIC, when the PIC detects the output changes it is suppose to respond by flashing an LED.
I measured the voltage and it was constantly outputting 64mV which i think is too small for a PIC to detect. I have heard that an Op-Amp is required to increase the voltage so the PIC can detect it.

I am not sure how to configure the op-amp and what mode of operation it should be in.
Please can anyone help me.

Thanks

Surely a PIR sensor module outputs a logic level of some kind, to activate a relay or something similar?. Do you have something different?, or have you connected it wrongly?.

Did you place a changing (or moving) heat source in front of it? A PIR sensor won't have any output for steady state conditions.

the output is connected directly to the port of a PIC. i have been putting my hand directly in front of it and havent seen any output changes. i thought because the voltage output level was so small that you couldnt tell the differance and thats where an amplifier came in.

Do you have a part name or a datasheet for your sensor? The manufacturers usually provide schematics including the amplifier stages.
As susggested, a PIR sensor module is far easier to use, as its output is TTL compatible.

You still give no clue as to what you have, a PIR module normally has a logic output of some kind, to feed a relay or an alarm system - are you wiring it incorrectly?, or do you have something different?.

So why not try reading the specification?

Voltage Output: High/Low level signal 3.3V
(Other choice: Open-Collector Output)

Is your's the optional open-collector output version?, if so add a pullup resistor from the output to +ve.

Got it working today! :)
It was just a simple program code error. i had configured the PORT in the microcontroller that the sensor was connected to incorrectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back