Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using AD7840 14 bit DAC as 8 bit DAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

okbro

hi,

I have a 14 bit DAC AD7840 which I want to use as 8 bit DAC for use with Arduino. Can it be done?

Thanks

Mike, I think you are thinking of an ADC when you say READ 14 bits. As it is a DAC if the OP only wants to use 8 bits I think using the top 8 bits would best. If he was using the parallel load option then he could just connect the top 8 bits and ground the lower 6 bits. If he was loading it serially he would probably have to send all 14 bits and just make the lower 6 bits zeroes.

Les.

Mike, I think you are thinking of an ADC when you say READ 14 bits. As it is a DAC if the OP only wants to use 8 bits I think using the top 8 bits would best. If he was using the parallel load option then he could just connect the top 8 bits and ground the lower 6 bits. If he was loading it serially he would probably have to send all 14 bits and just make the lower 6 bits zeroes.

Les.
There are four modes.... One is MSB justified into a 16 bit.... Just lose the bottom byte..

Hi Ian, I only skimmed through the data sheet to see how the DAC communicated with the micro. (I was expecting it to be I2C.) I can't understand why the OP is using such an expensive IC when only 8 bits is required. (I looked up the price as I thought it looked a useful device. It costs about £23 so I lost interest.) I think if I wanted an 8 bit DAC I would just use a R/2R network.

Les.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back