Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using a wall dimmer switch to control ON-OFF SSR relay.. will it work??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingenuitys

Hi, looking for help to control a SSR relay.
Would like to know if I can control a SSR-AA relay with a wall dimmer switch,
I just need the relay to switch On and Off to power a separate PSU unit, as I turn On the dimmer switch.
Will the change of wave as you dimming up or down will cause the SSR to malfunction?

Hope this diagram makes sense

Attachments

• 20210701_194215.jpg
    20210701_194215.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 293
Sorry for the diagram novice here..
The thing is I need to control one of the LEDs PSU unit with the dimmer switch and also switch on the other PSU unit which I don't want it dimming, also the PSU that feeds the dimming LEDs is over the rated Amp that the wall dimmer is rated, that's why using a dimmer controller for the PSU.

The dimmer switch is just used to send the signal to control the (led dimmer control unit) but I also want it to switch On the other PSU unit without dimming

Hi, looking for help to control a SSR relay.
Would like to know if I can control a SSR-AA relay with a wall dimmer switch,
I just need the relay to switch On and Off to power a separate PSU unit, as I turn On the dimmer switch.
Will the change of wave as you dimming up or down will cause the SSR to malfunction?

Hope this diagram makes sense
No, it won't work like that.

Which PSU do you have? I don't know any PSUs that can accept variable voltage AC input to adjust the DC output.

The PSU output is controlled by a triac dimmer control unit that is controlled by the dimmer switch

That would be an odd, or at least a very specialized, PSU

Want to know if the SSR relay will operate On and Off with the dimmer switch supplied voltage

It's difficult to answer your question without knowing the details of all of the individual parts of your system, Please post links to all the datasheets.

Want to know if the SSR relay will operate On and Off with the dimmer switch supplied voltage
no... the control voltage for an SSR is DC at a maximum of 32V (minimum 5V), and it's only on or off. the output of a dimmer is AC, up to 120V.... so that would fry the driver circuit in the SSR. and putting the AC terminals across the dimmer like you did in the diagram will only fry the dimmer if the SSR happens to turn on, because the AC terminals of the SSR are the "relay contacts"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back