Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using a scopes inputs as X and Y inputs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob1954

I have a scope, telequipment D1010, it has dual inputs CH1 and CH2 it also has an external trigger input.
The SECS/DIV switch looks as if it has a selection point that uses the EXT trigger input as an X input.
I have found a self build "in circuit curve tracer and component tester". I would like to add it to my scope.
It uses H and V outputs.
Before I build it I would like to know, are these the same as using one of the scopes channel inputs and the EXT - X input?
Thanks,
Bob.

Last edited:
Simply set to what you think it should be then feed it a signal to see if it does what you want.

You do not need to build anything to see if the 'scope will produce X and Y. If you do not have a signal generator or a mono or stereo radio earphones output then use your fingers to feed the mains frequency.

I think we have something crossed here.
The scope works fine.
My scope inputs CH1 and CH2, is that the same as the vertical input?
My scope has a trigger input that has a position on the SECS/DIV switch that says EXT-X, is that the same as the horizontal input?
The unit I am looking to build has two outputs V and H, can I connect these to, for instance, CH2 and the trigger input switched to EXT-X?

As AG said - just try it and see - you don't need anything to test X-Y mode. Either just 'buzz' the inputs with your finger, use some kind of external signal (oscillator) or just uses the scopes internal oscillator (used for probe adjustments).

Generally, with a dual beam scope, in x-y mode one input is the X the other the Y, normally selected from the timebase/horizontal controls.

On my Rigol it's Horizontal Menu/Timebase/X-Y.

Often the sweep or X has an input in order to display Lissajous figures.
i.e. modulate one wave form with another.
We had to use this for aligning a very early linear scale head for 90deg. shift.
Max.

For years, I used my 'scope to display the "tangle of thread" image produced by stereo recordings.

The owner manual states that XY mode is only available on the D1011 model.
Yes, the manual does state that.

X-Y mode appears to be a selected by pulling the Variable Time/Div control. This function is only available on the D1011. (ref section 2.3.3 VARIABLE of the manual)

But...
In section 2.3.3 SECS/DIV it states " The extreme anticlockwise position is for the EXT X mode to allow the input of an external X signal.

If I understand all the correctly,
when selecting XY Mode (D1011 only),
one of the vertical amplifiers is used to process one of the input signals and use it for horizontal (X) deflection.
The other vertical amplifier is used as normal to process the other input signal and use it for vertical (Y) deflection.

However on the basic scope (D1010),
A signal may be input to one of the vertical channels, and processed by all the usual vertical controls,
and
a second signal may be input to the TRIG or EXT Input connector, and this signal will be used to move the trace in the horizontal (X) direction.
But, there will not be any processing applied to this signal (volts/div or shift etc), what you see is what you get.
Any scaling or offset required for a sensible display must be provided by the external circuitry connected to the Ext Input.

I hope this lot makes sense, my head is starting to hurt.

So coming back to, and expanding on a point made by AudioGuru, several posts ago:
Set the SECS/Div control to Ext X , the display should be a single dot on the screen.
Connect a variable DC supply (say 0 to 10v) to the EXT Input connector.
The spot should move across the screen as the DC supply voltage is varied.

JimB

I hope this lot makes sense, my head is starting to hurt.
With you on that.

In the manual section 1.3.3 EXTERNAL X, sensitivity is shown as 1V/div approx.
Soooo, if CH1 or CH2 is used for the V, set at 1V/div, and EXT X is used for for the H, bob1954 may be good to go with his 'octopus'?

Soooo, if CH1 or CH2 is used for the V, set at 1V/div, and EXT X is used for for the H, bob1954 may be good to go with his 'octopus'?
Sounds reasonable.

JimB

I'm quite bemused that someone made a scope that didn't do X-Y mode?.
Maybe the D1010 model was an "LX" with manual crank windows, and the D1011 was the fully-loaded "Ghia"....with relative pricing adjustments?

Took a look at the manual for the D1010 / D1011. The D1010 sort of reminds me of some of the kit scopes of the early 60s. They work fine if you don't need bandwidth or a scope packed with features. Considering the first scope I ever worked with was a Knightkit my father built and later an OS8 /U the D1010 isn't all that bad, Not actually good and feature packed but not bad. :)

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back