Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using a PLC to contorl/simulate the use of a washing machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

pablome

I was wondering if its possible to take apart the washing machine and have the motor, buttons or whatever else controlled by the plc as a project.
If there is a controller ill just replace it with the PLC.
I wont keep the tub and agitator, just want to control like valves, or a pump, the motor.
However I want to figure out or get suggestions on how to control the motor if im just gotta use a digital In/Out PLC....using thresholds or how?

Didnt we cover this already? :confused:
Check out bb-elec.com
Download the free PLR software. Design it with that. It will give you the ability to use basic switch inputs and relay outputs to run everything. :)

Now do the rest of your homework yourself! :D

Theoretically making a washing machine driver is a piece of cake.

In practice its an absolute nightmare. Most things are easy until you hit the speed control for the main drum.

Trying to keep a constant speed for a drum full of wet washing is not an easy task. You have 7kg+ of unbalanced wet clothes that need rotating at a perfect speed or they will stick to the sides of the drum. You also need to balance the clothes before spinning of your washing machine will shake itself to bits.

I'm speaking from personal experience. I designed a PIC controlled washing machine with a RS232 interface to my PC running software that was nicknamed "Winwash 2000" ;)

I know I coverd this on the PLC home security thread. :confused:
bb-elec.com PLR programming software is free and easy to use.
program and simulator software are simple and user freindly.
check it out I use it all the time.
Blaa blaa blaa blaa :rolleyes:

Do some of you smoke pot, then go online? :D

PS. You do actualy have to go to Google and type in, bb-elec.com :eek:
I am not going to link it for you. :(

Theoretically making a washing machine driver is a piece of cake.

In practice its an absolute nightmare. Most things are easy until you hit the speed control for the main drum.

Trying to keep a constant speed for a drum full of wet washing is not an easy task. You have 7kg+ of unbalanced wet clothes that need rotating at a perfect speed or they will stick to the sides of the drum. You also need to balance the clothes before spinning of your washing machine will shake itself to bits.

I'm speaking from personal experience. I designed a PIC controlled washing machine with a RS232 interface to my PC running software that was nicknamed "Winwash 2000" ;)

Why is it gona be a nightmare trying to keep the constant speed of the drum? Forget the clothes for now.
Can you actually help on what sort of circuitry with the PLC or what PLC I should be expected to work with or use. I mean interfacing.
I got a schematic or so of a little one...check it.

Attachments

• WasherSchematic.JPG
    WasherSchematic.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 696
  • Washer.JPG
    Washer.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 615
  • ControlPanel.JPG
    ControlPanel.JPG
    240.2 KB · Views: 599
Getting a constant speed on the drum is a piece of cake (dont forget you get front loading machines as well as top loading).

As soon as you put clothes in it, it becomes more difficult. When the clothes are wet it becomes very difficult and you need a fine tuned closed loop system with a very fast response time.

If you don't believe me try it for yourself. ;)

P.s. Pablome - how would you suggest controlling the speed of an inductor motor commonly used on washing machines ?

Last edited:
And if you asked for a "Washing Machine" in the UK, this is generally what you'd end up getting ......

Attachments

• washing_machine_6kg.jpg
    washing_machine_6kg.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 429
i guess control the voltage or frequency, have either a tach encoder for feedback or some closed loop.
Is front load easier to control than top load.....im gona use that top load.

oh okay. but can you help me explain from that circuit what added circuits or components might be needed to contrl this without the "program control unit" card (i havnt checked inside yet) but with plc. THeres like 10 inputs perhaps. some outputs.

That isn't a circuit, its a wiring diagram.

I won't go into detail with the circuits I used as they were PIC based and not PLC which is what you're asking for.

To control the speed of a motor its easier to just use a factory made VFD unit. most have 0 -10 volt inputs that translate that right to the programed frequency range.

Or use a two speed motor like most standard machines use around here.

3 differnent VFD specs included. All of these VFD units I purchased on ebay for less than $30 each.

Attachments

• Fugi 2C9S Operators Manual.pdf
    303.7 KB · Views: 772
  • Hitach iVWE.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 527
  • Toshiba VFSX Manual.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 442
Last edited:
sure.
the relay output PLR units handle 8 amps. However if your running a fair sized motor I would still use a seperate relay for the motor. Everything else would easily be controlable with the internal relays.
I just figured that the variable speed option can be done with an analog modual on the PLR. Give you better speed control.
If you went to the web site I mentioned and read all the techical info onthe PLR units you would see they have a good range of options to work with.
Narrowing it down to what works for you is your business not mine.

Being that PLC are as expensive as a commercial washing machine...
they probably wouldnt be used than unless industrial application right?
Any ideas?
One thing I can find useful by using a PLC is that it is very durable for industrial environments but better yet can customize the software easily to modify the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back