Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using 100 LM2577/XL6009 to provide 16v @ 200amps from 12v input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the TV show Mythbusters they tried very loud bass sounds to see if the myth about it causing you to go #2 in your pants is true or false. I think it was true for some people.

Why would I care to want to read about stuff like that and given it government funded if anything I am obligated from past experience to to believe that it's likely either not true or at least heavily biased to support some ill conceived government power grab. :rolleyes:

If it's too loud you're too old and if you think the government needs to be involved .....:wideyed:

Kids will be kids and teens will be teens just like how we were once. Young, dumb, careless and near indestructible by our own reasoning. It's the only way to get the scars that will be worth showing off later in life. :p

Hello again,

Well what study have you done to show that the gov's study isnt true?
It's not about fun and games, it's about distracted driving and psychophysical responses. Im sure you would not want to see anyone get hurt because of this, right?
Also, havent you ever 'felt' the noise when listening to very loud music? If it is loud enough it could even make you dizzy for a second or two. Also, some people have been found to be more sensitive to this effect.
Remember sound is like an explosion because it causes pressure in the air. The louder the sound the closer it becomes to being like an explosion. The armed forces know about this too and it has been talked about using it for more peaceful crowd control.
I dont want to ruin anyone's fun, that's all we have in life. I just dont want to see more accidents because we already have enough of those.

What really bothers me is the number of air crashes we see lately. This rise in crashes is definitely because they are all listening to super loud music (ha ha, just kidding there, except for the number of crashes which did seem to rise recently.) :)

I have crashed my radio controlled model airplanes a few times and "super loud music" had nothing to do with it. I got distracted by pretty young scantily clad ladies in the park.:)

Hi,

From audioguru to girlioguru...I guess we are all guilty of that now and then :)

It's not about fun and games, it's about distracted driving and psychophysical responses. Im sure you would not want to see anyone get hurt because of this, right?
Also, havent you ever 'felt' the noise when listening to very loud music? If it is loud enough it could even make you dizzy for a second or two. Also, some people have been found to be more sensitive to this effect.

I could care less about 'what if's 'and people hurting themselves by what ever means they come up with. It's not my job and I am never going to discourage anyone from doing anything I have enjoyed at some point in my life and loud music is definitely one of the things I have enjoyed the most. Still do! :woot:

For many feeling the music to the point of dizziness is the whole point of playing it loud. For many it's a wonderful adrenaline producing and very stress reducing experience!:joyful:

I've been to the US festival with an impressive 500 kW audio power capacity, enough to rock the San Bernadino valley with 1 watt per person attending. But it was perfect stereo even with delayed sync audio to the satellite scaffold towers with the firehose turrets to cool the audience, so 1500W is pretty puny. Even before this I had heard and found a French Canadian disco in the '70s with Quad sound each with dual 15" woofers and each driven by a parallel rack of Crown DC300's.

I found this event in a modified RC church by the seismic waves many blocks away at night, so none of this impresses me.

I am impressed no one has ignited the H2 gas generated by the overvoltage charging of glass matt bateries to 16V and become a Darwinian Award winner helping to reduce the gene pool of mancave-on-wheel dwelling magnetic shakers.

The speaker coils need to be ferrofluidically cooled and the power source ESR needs to 0.1% of speaker impedance for high quality thumps without overshoot. The Capacitance in batteries far greater than caps but may have a higher ESR during chemical equalization from charge to discharge.

The lack of engineered solutions astounds me.

Has anyone considered this?
1) 350A alternators are cheper and readily available with 24V trucks for 24V batteries for improved lower conduction losses in cables at 6kW loads, independant of the 12V system.

Even better use a 48V alternator @ 40A and 48V batteries for 2kW charging and no conversion.

2) the C2 Audio class E amplifier simply boosts the battery voltage to achieve the power in a 4 Ohm system.( or other)
Thus a 4 Ohm load at 2500Wpk sound system could draws 25A at 100V or some other DC voltage.

So it would make more sense to PWM switch the 48-54V battery to 100V with IGBTs with negative feedback and a gain of 100 could use RdsOn of <0.1% of 4 Ω or 4 mΩ running at 100Vdc with 2500 W available to the 4Ω speakers.

This 3 phase bridge is capable of far less ripple current damage to battery and thus no need or caps.
https://ixapps.ixys.com/DataSheet/GMM3x60-015X2.pdf
150V, 50 A, 19 mΩ Which would reduce to 0.19 mΩ with x100 Vgain negative feedback.

Thus NO boost SMPS regulator, no big Caps, just negative feedback to lower driver ESR inside the Audio Amp is required which only adds ESR , the lower currents and voltage match the Amplifiers needs.

This is not a complete design, just a commentary on bad design of seismic car audio technology.

BTW good performance for standby power in a load acid 12 V(14.2 max) battery is 1.5AH per pound weight.

Last edited:
I have been to a few crank it up contests and haves at in vehicles pushing ~10 Kw or better and to be honest when they were tuned up properly and playing a good song it was down right enjoyable but when poorly set up by someone with a lead ear and playing crappy music the same vehicle was a totally obnoxious assault on every sense all at once. :(

Wattage and music are like everything else. If done right more is always better but if done wrong it's terrible at any level.

BTW I think the OP may be long gone by now. I dont think we gave the answers he wanted to"hear". :rolleyes:

I could care less about 'what if's 'and people hurting themselves by what ever means they come up with. It's not my job and I am never going to discourage anyone from doing anything I have enjoyed at some point in my life and loud music is definitely one of the things I have enjoyed the most. Still do! :woot:

For many feeling the music to the point of dizziness is the whole point of playing it loud. For many it's a wonderful adrenaline producing and very stress reducing experience!:joyful:

Hello again,

tcmtech:
Ok, well then good luck to you and your high powered music. I cant recommend it while driving but to each their own, and any associated risks.

audioguru:
Have you checked out Scarlett Johansson? A prettier gal would be hard to find :)
I highly recommend seeing "Lost In Translation" if you havent already.

Attachments

• Scarlett_Johansson1000x750.jpg
    Scarlett_Johansson1000x750.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 355
Mr Al,
The photo you posted of Scarlett Johansson has been touched up and is too perfect and lovely. Other photos of her show a few imperfections that do not affect how beautiful she is.

None the less the rigidity and resonance of windows, doors frame members all becomes distortion inducing buzzes and rattles.

I used to work for an aerospace company and in one building basement they had a 30" woofer powered by 20kW vacuum tubes which could support the weight of 500kg rocket and when they tested the electronics from 10 Hz to 5kHz at 15 g vibration. The shaker table had accelerometer feedback to control the amplitude but the building has the usual many different resonant frequencies that were amplified by their Q's of 50 or more which made it quite loud.

My point is car audio systems are poorly designed with high amperage low voltage system when it far better to power it from a high voltage 48V alternator for 96V+ full bridge output. or more as required. The dampening factors are far from the 1000 value I suggested, so they are merely loud resonant boom boxes and not hi fidelity at all.

The op may be looking to compete in one of the SPL competitions. Some years ago someone contacted my company about designing a big boost power supply for his competition system. If I remember correctly, there was a max limit of 16.0 volts into the amps. He was looking for LOTS of DC current. He went away when he got our engineering quote.

Here is a video of one such competition.

Easy, I'd start with 3200W inverter to 220Vac (8.5kg) ,
pair of 1kW 18" active subwoofers and 1kW Amp for the rest.

Might blow the windows out tho.

Unfortunately in the world of car audio and who can be the loudest common sense and easy logical approaches to get there are rarely what you will see being implemented. :facepalm:

Lots of money lots of brand association and very little logical thought about how the end goal is going to be achieved other than just throw more money and more stuff at.

Back when I was into it I went for sound quality on a budget which meant mix and matched equipment from different brands and modified gear where I could. I was well known for having a very loud and very good sounding vehicle but I never could get into any crank it up contests simply because I wasn't sporting all of brand X or brand Y's gear.

Sure I could sit out in the parking lot and get compliments about how loud and nice my system sounded by those who didn't run the contests or participate but that was about it. When it came to the who's who and running what brand of actual competitions I was nobody. :(

When I was young a good 12" Philips speaker in a Bass Labyrinth cabinet covered the audio range and was loud enough 1Watt and vibrate the windows at 100W with no crossover losses.

Then my 13 yr old son had to outdo me with his active subwoofer remote outside from the car and rattle the neighbourhood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back