Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Useful Microchip library for EAGLECAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well you might like this one for the ESP8266 modules as well.
I added the ESP12e T.H. & SMT layouts to this myself.

Attachments

• esp8266modules.zip
    6.1 KB · Views: 281
Hy Mosaic,

Element 14 provide a wide range of component libraries but they are not usable because the component symbols are too large.

Is that your experience?

spec

Not really, can u be more specific? What I notice is that the component outlines use the wrong layer sometimes.

To be specific I find that the symbols in Element 14 libraries are unusable because they are badly laid out and massive. They would lead to schematics that would cover several sheets, rather than one sheet and they would lead to schematics that would be incomprehensible. The EAGLE schematic below illustrates what I mean. Believe it or not, U1 is a simple buffer and U2 is a quad 2input NAND gate. Both symbols are from the Element 14 Texas Instruments library.

Or have I got something wrong.:)

spec

2016_08_18_!ss1_ETO_ELEMENT_14_EAGLE_SYMBOLS.png

To be specific I find that the symbols in Element 14 libraries are unusable because they are badly laid out and massive. They would lead to schematics that would cover several sheets, rather than one sheet and they would lead to schematics that would be incomprehensible. The EAGLE schematic below illustrates what I mean. Believe it or not, U1 is a simple buffer and U2 is a quad 2input NAND gate. Both symbols are from the Element 14 Texas Instruments library.

Or have I got something wrong.:)

spec

This is interesting because I just downloaded a gazillion libraries from element14; no experience yet because I am just starting with Eagle, but maybe a stupid question: is a "footprint" not supposed to match the actual size of a comonent on a pcb? And if used in a schematic, surely it should be sizeable?

Well , I use few logic chips being more a microcontroller/opamp /transistor/passive user. But I have altered both symbols and the actual pad layout from time to time to suit the need. Sometimes the micro-controller symbols can't list all the pin functions as there can be so many. So I would revise it a bit to suit the circuit I am designing so the pin function being used is described.

Also a very useful mod is to add a fourth pin (extra wiper) to the trimmer pot layouts which allows multiple trimmers from different pinouts to fit the same PCB.
That's described in my hackaday project here:
https://hackaday.io/project/7938-pcb-smt-maker-lab-home

This is interesting because I just downloaded a gazillion libraries from element14; no experience yet because I am just starting with Eagle, but maybe a stupid question: is a "footprint" not supposed to match the actual size of a comonent on a pcb? And if used in a schematic, surely it should be sizeable?
Sorry earckens missed your post.

The schematic symbol and footprint are two different things.

The schematic symbol appears on the schematic and shows the pin numbers and pin names for a particular divice. The sixe of the schematic symbol cannot be changed unless you edit it in the component editor (think that is the correct name).

The footprint is the physical package of the chip and is obviously a fixed size. You use a component's footprint when you generate a PCB board layout.

spec

Nice to know spec, I am learning at lightning speed.
Just today I finished my first new component in the Eagle library using DerStrom8's (video in hos posting earlier) and some other helpsites, it took several hours but indeed much better result then imported libraries.
I think you mean the symbol editor; some of the tutorials stress the importance of a correct grid size, I think this may be related to the issue you mention?

Since the schematic editor relies upon the selected grid to some extent when connecting symbols point to point, scaling symbols will necessarily affect this. If you design or edit a symbol in the library and shift or scale it off grid, it can be a bit troublesome to achieve reliable schematic point to point connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back