Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Use Handheld Computer as Remote Control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMikey83

I have an NEC MobilePro 450 handheld computer. It has a wireless IR communication port on the back so that it can send and recieve to/from another MP450. I was wondering if there might be a way to write a small program to use this IR port to control a project I plan to build that I need a remote control for.

The project in question is a Propeller Clock (like this one **broken link removed**).
In order to set the clock or put in information, you obviosly can't have the butons on the spinning arm...this calls for a remote control. Henk Sourby, on the site above, used an old RCV remote. In his 'list of things to do', he mentions 'the ability to input text from the remote'.
This gave me the idea to see if its possible to use the MP450 to do this as I could just type in Words or the time, press enter, link with the clock by IR and have it set. Other functions that Henks has is switching between different modes and turning off different parts of the display and having different looking clock faces.

I dont plan on actually building the project untill I have a remote control setup of some sort.
~Mike[/url]

NoOne?
~Mike

find out if the IR port uses the standard IRDA protocols, etc... there is plenty of info on the web for interfacing with the IRDA ports on computers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back