Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB Splitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I'am working on a particular project, here is the problem which I'am facing right now.

I want to connect a CCD barcode scanner to 2 different PC at the same time. But the scanner has a single USB port( It comes with a Software) . So I thought of using a USB splitter, but the hassle's here are

1) USB splitter's are generally used to expand the number of USB ports on the Computers which is MASTER debice , where as in our case we are looking to expand the ports for the slave ( CCD scanner).

2) Also Is it possible to simultaneously establish a connection to both the computers.

I just went through some of the USB splitters which are available in the market but they are mainly entailed for the PC and LAPTOPS.

I was wondering is there any way , in which I can implement the above system. Any suggestions here would be a huge help and will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Regards

Chetan K.A

Hi Chetan,

first off it's not the best idea to choose a login name containing the full email address.

Beware of spam!

To use one device on two PCs establish a small office network with windows. If you just want to connect two PCs you don't need an Ethernet switch.

Just connect the PCs via a crossover cable to the Ethernet connectors.

Boncuk

The problem is that the USB host and slave setup a dialog. There is no protocol for a slave talking to two or more hosts.

As Boncuk said connect the USB device to one PC and have that PC pass the info to the 2nd PC. If that will work for you.

The other option would be to design a device with one master and two slave ports and have each slave port connected to each PC. Not easy.

Last edited:
Thank you so much people. Another way which I was thinking of achieving the above task was by using the IC :cp2102 which is used in most of the USB to serial conversion.

Here is what I' am wanting to do:

1) I will connect the CCD scanner to the 1st computer through USB.

2) Then I will pull out D+ and D- pin of USB in parallel and connect it to cp2102, and will then connect the serial output to the second PC. I will also make sure to ground the RX pin of cp2102.

However , I' am not sure if this arrangement i.e cp2102 ic will drive the USB resulting in long results. Trying to implement this system to see if its worthy enough. Hoping if anyone would throw there insights on this.

Regards
Chetan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back