Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

usb mouse logger and player

Status
Not open for further replies.

triump

I am trying to find some info on a piece of hardware that when plugged into a USB port will record any mouse movements and mouse clicks. Once this is done then a button can be pressed on the USB hardware and it will play back the previously recorded mouse movements and clicks.

I have search around and is unable to find any info on this. I have never done any USB projects before and this would be my first. I would really like to learn allot more about USB use and projects.

If anyone here has any insight into this or some links that would point me in the right direction I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks

This is not a good first project, there is software you can install on a computer that will do this without any hardware required. Just search around on google for it. USB is generally not a good idea to play around with for a hobbyist, it's.... quiet complicated to say the least. A good first project for USB would be using an FTDI serial to USB chip to interface a micro controller or some other digital harware with, those take care of the nasty bits of USB on the IC themselves.

Ok.. thanks. Sounds like a good place to start. Do you know of any schematics of the circuit you are talking about?

Thanks

I am sorry to ask so many questions but like I said this is my first time with usb.

I have programed and used PIC micro controllers before. Thats about it. :(

So which FTDI chip are you thinking I should be looking at. And would it convert RS232 to usb or USB to RS232?

Also which microprocessor should I be looking at.

Thanks and again sorry about all the questions. I am really gratefull for the help in getting started.

I am currently enrolled in school doing Computer Eng and just finished my first term. I hope that I soon start learning stuff that will help me do these kinds of projects.

It looks like this would be the best way to start. Would you guys agree.

**broken link removed**

Yeah, but you'll need something to do with it too =)

That'd work, pretty simple and easy to do. Those FTDI modules are quiet useful, just keep in mind it's usually a good idea to plug it into the same USB port every time, if you plug it into a different port it will reasign the com port numbers sometimes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back