Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB Device to Control IC Switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

card9inal

Hey everyone...

I have ZERO, literally no microcontroller programming experience, so please forgive the likely simple questions below.

Is it possible to use a USB keyboard like the X-Keys 24 button device to control analog IC switches? Something like this:

**broken link removed**

How would I go about doing that?

I would assume that I could set the microcontroller pins to be LOW, and when a usb button is pressed, to go HIGH which would then open the switch (or vice versa). But what would I need to make that work?

Thanks!!!

s it possible to use a USB keyboard like the X-Keys 24 button device to control analog IC switches? Something like this:

Yes! but you would need a controller that can be configured as a master.... OR!!! That particular device can be bought as an RS232 device..

Most micro's that can do Master USB are the larger end Pic's or the ARM processors...

I use an Arm based device "GHI panda" this can be setup to be a USB master... How are you at C#...

I know NOTHING about programming. I started (months ago) to learn Java at codeacademy.com, but life got in the way and I wasn't able to finish, and because I never used it, I don't know if I remember much about it...

Not necessarily already built, but I need some advice for a starting point, I suppose.

It would be nice to know what type of controller I need, what the easiest way to program the controller is, what language, any hints or tips. I don't mind trying to learn to program, and I know I'm diving into the deep end a little bit, but this is a project that I want to get done. The quickest way from point A to point B would be helpful!

Does that make sense?

Well!!! As I said...C# is a nice tool ( its a kind of java ) Microsoft released J++ (MS's java) Sun microsystems took them to court.... MS changed and renamed J++ to C#..

C is a very nice language to learn.... You could pic up a small pic24jxxx development board..Download MPLAB and the C30 C compiler ( run in lite mode) Download the Microchip libraries, and compile the USB host examples......

examples.. **broken link removed**
compiler.. **broken link removed**
MPLAB.. **broken link removed**

I'll look into those...

I also have been trying to find a use for Arduino. I read your note about needing a USB master controller and did a little searching and found this:

https://www.circuitsathome.com/products-page/arduino-shields/usb-host-shield-2-0-for-arduino

This board has several outputs that I imagine I could use for control of the switches, correct? The USB Host shield would read the output of the keyboard, interpret the button press of button 1 and then respond by making pin 1 low, which then causes the IC switch to open up... Is that accurate?

With the wealth of information about Arduino out there, is there a smaller learning curve with it than the other ways you mentioned?

Or will the way I described, or the board, not able to be able to work as mentioned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back