Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB connectors - new global standard not just for PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

nike6

Banned
here you see a brand new battery charger, electronic transformer, which also has USB outlet, according to the manual:

-to power USB devices
-to charge mobile devices

this is now the second commercial appliance using USB sockets, and USB cables, for power supply.

it has many advantages, personally i use USB for:

-RS 232 / serial data between PICs
-power distribution for PIC based project PCBs
-ICSP programming of microcontroller

the specialized cable I use (male to male) costs $25 in our shops, and about $3 to $5 on ebay.

It can be considerably messy to manufacture cables and to attach connectors.

on the picture you also see SEGA MEGA DRIVE, distribution of AUDIO/VIDEO via USB socket!
the original cable is virtually unavailable, and also is a little messy.

here another evidence that this standard is increasingly being used for commercial appliances.
long term, maybe say good-bye to 7805 regulators.

note: I do not sell any of this stuff, neither I want to suggest that someone has done a bit of copy cat because of my SEGA mod.
I just also realized the great possibilities of USB hardware a little while ago.

I'd encourage usage of USB hardware (sockets/cables) for new projects, and especially for schools/university (prevent students from accessing mains power/designing power supplies).

Attachments

• PICT1837.JPG
    PICT1837.JPG
    336.4 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back