Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Usb Cmos Camera Interface With Pic

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAJ.MIRK

I am trying to interface a usb cmos camera with pic micro,the aim is to store the image taken at some interval in to some storage device say SD/MMC card.The storage part is addressed as mikrobasic IDE gives a inbuilt fn to interface it .Can any one help on interfcing the camera ?????????????????
reagrds,

Native USB is really hard to work (some would say almost impossible) with and even harder if you don't have the datasheet for the USB interface of the camera.

If you did pull it off, the camera is likely too fast while the memory card is too slow. The PIC isn't going to have enough buffer memory to bridge the two together. If you are just trying to store photos, there are RS-232 JPEG compression snapshot cameras available which are way easier to work with than USB. THey are only 1-6 FPS, but you with a slow, low memory PIC (and difficulty of working with USB) you aren't going to have much luck anyways making full use of the USB camera you do have. If you don't have the datasheet for the USB protocal you don't really stand a chance at all.

You will probably have way way better luck using one of these:
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
If you want an easy to interface camera, consider one of the CMUcam line. I have an old CMUcam 1.

They're really easy to use and very cool. I once built a robot with it that chased a hockey ball (and sometimes the cat). That reminds me - I gotta dig that thing out and do something with it soon.

But at this part of globe i really don't know! like who can supply me with that kind of camera . dknuguyen can you please tell me which camera to go in for ,if I have to try some serial cam. Can the usb camera hacked and inside cmos be directly connected with micro

RAJ.MIRK said:
Can the usb camera hacked and inside cmos be directly connected with micro
No. For all practical purposes, it cannot be. You might just have to tough it out and get a RS-232 based camera, or a CMU cam...wherever you happen to be. It would be easier to take a regular video camera with a PAL or NTSC, or composite video output and interpret that manually than to try and crack the USB protocal.

I have no idea what your part of the world is because your location isn't filled in.

If 128x128 black and whtie resolution is good enough for you, you can also use a Gameboy camera. They are out of production but you can still buy em on Ebay. I have 10 of them I stocked up on.

Last edited:
it seem to me that USB interface will dominate the market soon
how in earth ppl like us cant catch this new Technology...

USB is already standard and you can buy microcontrollers with USB host like some PIC 32 bit mpus. Problem will be writing the driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back