Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB circuit component blown

Status
Not open for further replies.

notallbad

Hi again, you guys have been so helpful I shall try my luck at resolving this one here.

The USB port circuit has a blown component, well, it may not have been and I perhaps unnecessarily removed it, eeek! The black plastic body had melted and spread across the pcb around the component. I was troubleshooting a faulty board when I came across this 'blown' component and removed it in haste, maybe. So not sure if the USB port worked or not. It was not de-soldered otherwise the simple solution would be to solder it back onto the board, very silly I know.

The USB port is located at the bottom of the PCB picture, white 5 pin connector.

Its the data signal connections D+ and D- (Pins 2 and 3). These both directly connected to the one SMD component which had 4 connections (2 on each side). The output sides both connect to separate 0 ohm SMD resistors before going to an I.C PNX8706ET/N106. Pin 3 between resistor and I.C also interconnects with 3.3v via a 1M0 resistor.

My question is: what is this component and can a straight through connection cause any damage though does it depend on the I.C that it connects to?
Unfortunately I have not been able to find a datasheet for this I.C which might give an indication of what should be connected at these pins.

The image of the component may not be visible even by zooming in but it appears to have two very fine wires wrapped around it at both ends.

**broken link removed**

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

**broken link removed**

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The device is a surface mount common mode choke, used for EMI reduction. It attenuates very high frequencies, getting rid of some noise.

If you short out the connections (ie connect two wires across where it used to be), the port will work fine and you will not damage the chip. You may find that port marginally less reliable than others (especially with very long USB cables) - however you will probably see no difference.

Andy

Hi
Very grateful for the response.
I was not sure if resistors would be needed or not so thankyou for the confirmation to just short across the connections.
The port will only be used to connect usb sticks directly into the port as it is on an audio wireless media player.
Thanks again.
I shall report back on how it goes!

was that the only change? i find it highly unlikely that something like this would 'fix' the board...

Yes, thats all I did, like I said before, I removed the choke before knowing whether the usb port worked or not as the device was not working at that point and so was unable to see if it worked or not, so it may not have been necessary to remove it but it was melted.
Not knowing the history of the device makes it hard knowing the cause assuming it was 'blown'.
I was able to get the device working by other remedial works, but this was PS board related.
The usb port does now work as well as the device itself, so I'm happy!

Looking back perhaps my wording, 'troubleshooting a faulty board' was a little mis-leading, it was not the board itself but a media player I was troubleshooting and on inspection on the boards I found the suspect choke in my travels.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back