USB Charger Project - My first =D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soogs

Hey peeps.

First of all ill introduce myself. My names Omer and I live in the uk. I love electronics and will train to be an electrician soon but Im learning fast that I still know next to nothing about electronics and the way things work hehe.

Right!

What I am intending to build is a portable usb charger for my HTC Kaiser.

I want to charge this from a usb port and have some idea when the battery is full.

I ordered an 3.7v 2000mah lithium nintendo ds battery and intend to use some means to get this to a steady 5volt supply.

I have done some reading and it seems that I will need an IC to get the voltage up to 5volts. Is this true? Is this the most efficient way to do this?

will i need to use any regulators or capacitors?

how easy will it be to add a cut off charger for when the battery is full?

Many thanks in advanced

Soogs~

Look for a switching regulator to boost your voltage up from 3.7 volts to 5 volts.

For charging a lithium battery you have to be very carefull - use a dedicated lithium IC charger - have a look at www.maxim-ic.com

This might helps a little .....
**broken link removed**

Cheers dude.

looks like im going to have to alot of research before i can start making anything.

would you recommend ditching the li-ion battery and getting a ni-mh one instead?

thanks again.

Soogs~

Isn't this all a bit pointless as the phone charges thru the USB port anyway?? or is it to charge the phone via an external battery in which case why use a nintendo ds battery oris it because you carry one around. Look for SMPS in boost configuration to increase the voltage output.

Ni-Mh are a lot easier to charge and maintain and dont tend to erupt in flames if you get it wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…