Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB and PICkit 2 Issue - Suggestions Welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes PICkit 2 is powering the device on programming, but I cannot use the mouse at the same time. Hooking the mouse up causes the PICkit 2 to display "PICkit 2 not found" .

Leading me to think it is a USB power issue. Not enough to get it done..

Agree :angelic: mouse is innocent , powered hub or external device power should cure your ills...
Personally I stopped using pickit 2 or 3 to power devices even on hubs,, some devices ( if power up timer enabled ) cannot power up fast enough to be ready for program stream...( a guess)

Will eventually switch to PICkit 3. But still like the old model 2.

Using

I'm able to program the PIC. But not with a mouse attached to laptop. Must remove mouse dongle and use touchpad to navigate MPLAB and PICkit 2 software. Might have to wait till I can get a powered USB to try.
after installing pickit2 program
try to reschedule the external mouse to another socket. or "under device manager" refresh the pnp devices
them mouse might also work, in my opinion .

every new version need not be ideal. they may have their own deficiencies. This IMHO, pickit2 is ok unless we want to use latest and high end chips not supported by pickit2

while installing older devices
we can uninstall 2v63 etc and then install older version.
but 2.63 should well work some usb clashing could studied and prevented

Okay hooked up a powered USB Hub... No Joy.

Switched to a different computer and now mouse and PICkit 2 work in harmony. No problems on the Lenovo

Thanks to all who tried to help. Much appreciated.

If any of the USB plugs that you used on your Toshiba is a blue colored USB 3 then look again at post 10.

Going back to the Toshiba. It does have one blue USB port. The regular black USB 2.0 ports do not function when using the mouse and PICkit 2. Neither does the USB 3.0

Dont know if this is going to help or not..........

Some of the following in actually around in old posts of mine from a couple of years ago, my problem related to PK3 but I think you have the same issue with your PK2.
In my case when switching chips from say 18f to 24f the PK3 needs to download different drivers for the pk3 from microchip, it did this every time I switched.
Now before you go 'but I am not having that problem' read on.

To cut a very long story short, I ended up bricking 3 pk3's (microchip replaced them free after failing to find a solution) the problem is WIN7 and the 64bit version, the drivers that the pk2 and pk3 use are windows drivers and not completely microchips, Microchip were really funny with me when my second pk3 went on a different machine that had win7 64 bit on it, I tried to see what was going on and 'I THINK' but have no proof that the drivers are constantly polling, on some machines with powered hubs etc this is ok, on other machines with weaker usb supplies this seems to cause the usb to almost reach brownout.

In the case of the PK3 the reason it was bricking (check way back on MC forums as there are a few posts on this there) was near the middle of the download the usb would drop the connection while the firmware was written to the pk3, this left it totaly bricked.

As the pk2 uses the same driver for all chips you dont get this trouble, but instead I think what you see is all the usb ports that are connected are constantly polling or whatever and draining the usb supply, obviously the less power hungry the usb device the less trouble.
MC ended up giving me a ICD3 as this uses one driver for everything and its a MC driver not a MS one. I saw these problems on 2 different laptops and 2 different pc's, the only common denominator was win7 64 bit, I never had an issue with win7 32 bit

LG

I hope this helps

IQ.. My final 2 peneth,(2 cents) Is there anything in Toshiba Bios , like USB legacy support / enabled ports etc ...on a HP Elitebook... I measured amps on mouse dongle practically zero ? so < 10mA, and PK2 (no device ) ~ 50mA .

Dont know if this is going to help or not..........

the only common denominator was win7 64 bit, I never had an issue with win7 32 bit

LG

I hope this helps

Lenovo laptop is 64-bit Win 7 Pro. PICkit 2 and mouse play fine on it. No conflicts. Does not appear to be a 64 bit issue.

Lenovo laptop is 64-bit Win 7 Pro. PICkit 2 and mouse play fine on it. No conflicts. Does not appear to be a 64 bit issue.
Different hardware may have a higher current rating in practice as I pointed out. I think the main thing I took away from it was, the drivers in the 64bit version polled or did something that ment the port was always active rather than going into sleep (or whatever) on the 64bit system. On the 32 bit system this isnt the case with the drivers.

I suspect not power issues, my computer tells me when there is current overdraw anywhere, but you could try to insert more...
64-bit Win 7 Pro

I have seen this problem similar with my "external usb splitter", I split in several devices including usb dongles, and usb LEDS, along with both pickit2 & 3, but adding a webcam causes same problem but with webcam,,ie web cam not detected, when i switch to different host controller on pc all is good. i suspect similar (and i just assumed it was too many packets, what ever it was) , but i cant see that many packets in a mouse or pickit only to cause that problem.

..........just a small insight.....

also maybe check up to date drivers for pc .. and usb version for all devices

I think ultimately updating drivers dosnt help, if a drive uses or was built on the base driver from microsoft then the problem stands. I dont fully understand it and keep in mind I was around 13, so microchip dumbed alot of it down.

In really simple terms I understood it like this.......... In 64bit windows the actually USB system has a core driver and anyone wanting to develop a completely new driver would have to pay alot to get it signed, so MS produced a core driver that acted for low level use of the USb and vendors used this base.

Now for some reason I dont have the slightest why, the 64 bit driver dosnt sit and wait until a packet hits the port, at the low level the driver constantly looks for data and this uses power. So when you get a mix of devices using the ports some will use more power than others anyway, but in the 64bit version its easier to hit the port limit as all ports are polled regardless of what if anything is connected.

Win7 64 bit wasnt often used in 64bit mode, most software was written for 32bit hence why you have two program folders. And while the processors were 64bit I dont think win7 64 played very nicely with them. I honestly dont think it boils down to anything more than luck which computer works or not, but I really think if you get a problem on one system then you will get an identical issue on identical hardware.

I dont get why it gives you the cannot find error, but that was the same error I would get wit things like my logitech cam but not my IPA cam. If you can remove something from the port and you dont get the error then it has to be the way the port is used by the drivers. Because by the time win7 64bit was being taken up more widely windoze 8 came out, so I guess they just stopped working on it. Win7 was the best system to date but had become so pirated MS was desperate to change OS, Win7 also apparently had some serious security issues that couldnt be patched securely.

I cant remember much of it as I changed to win8 shortly after (YUK) then 8.1 (YUK) then win 10 original trial version (was ok) then win 10 released version *sings.. it always feels like someone is watching me* then back to 8.1 and linux dual boot (Linux rules).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back