Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB and PICkit 2 Issue - Suggestions Welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inquisitive

Super Moderator
Thanks for your interest and time on this.

Using a Toshiba Satellite P755 laptop. Windows 7 Premium Home OS, 64 bit. Intel i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz. With a Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 3500.

Mouse works fine. But if I hook up a PICkit 2 to the USB it says "PICkit 2 not found" Check USB connections and use Tools -> Check Communication to retry.

If I remove the USB Mouse dongle it will recognize the PICkit 2, but then I have to resort to touch pad navigation which is awkward and slow.

So, I'm wondering if I was to add a powered USB hub to the laptop would this alleviate this.

Your thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

IQ I Just tried PK2 on my HP elitebook ( first time ) Win 7 home premium 64 bit i5 cpu, logitech wireless mouse / dongle, have not run any microchip sw to check yet , but PK2 is in device list...
edit
PK2 stand alone works fine.
edit 2
dongle and PK2 USB ports next to each other

Last edited:
I cannot address your specific problems, as I have none of the equipment you list. I do have Win7 Pro on a desktop with Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse and had some problems when all of the dongles (local wireless internet and Logitech) were plugged into the back adjacent to each other and the USB connection for my PK3/ICD3. Solution was to move the Logitech to another location, i.e., on the front.

If all else fails, do you have the option of moving the dongles away from each other? (I suspect not on a laptop.) Do you have a USB dock or something that you can use to at least test that solution to pin down the problem as hardware and not software?

John

If all else fails, do you have the option of moving the dongles away from each other? (I suspect not on a laptop.) Do you have a USB dock or something that you can use to at least test that solution to pin down the problem as hardware and not software?

John

At present the mouse dongle is on the right side USB port of the laptop case and the PICkit 2 is on the left side of the laptop case. Cannot get any further apart. hmm

IQ did you have PK2 sw running , or pk2 just plugged in for win to detect ?
edit
forget this post I see you say it will detect PK2 , just not the 2 usbs

The PICkit 2 software is giving the stated error. Windows says there are no issues and device is working properly. But no joy.

what PK2 versions are you running , I have; app 2.61.00 ;device 1.61.00 ;OS 2.32.00 .
edit
I would try reinstalling PK2 SW

PICkit 2
Application Version: 2.61
Device: 1.61
OS is listed as N/A (Not sure why it shows N/A)

But it is a genuine Microchip PICkit 2 obtained from MicroChipDirect

Avoid using USB 3 sockets for these devices.
Problems of USB devices interfering with each other are common.
I'm sure that soon you yourself will find the solution. I hope that you will come back and tell us what was the solution so we can learn from your experience.

IQ N/A would suggest PK2 lost its operating system ... with PK2 standalone running, go to tools , and click download PICkit 2 Operating System... should show file PK2V23200.hex...

Thanks for that tip, granddad.

It shows OS Firmware 2.32 now

Did that minus the USB mouse and used touchpad. Plugged mouse dongle back in and PICkit 2 not found.

Time to go buy a powered USB hub and see what that does.... stay tuned

pickit2 expects a specific ver of dotnet.
the latest laptop might have latest version and it might not support the pickit2 firmware.
try to install pickit2 drivers with dotnet included.
then you would overcome the issue.

Hi mvs sarma.

How do you install or check what version of .NET is needed?

Presently have 4.52 of .NET

Last edited:
Hi mvs sarma.

How do you install or check what version of .NET is needed?

Presently have 4.52 of .NET
Innqisitive,
you might download the driver for pickit2 with and including dotnet as available in the microchip site.
I mean there are two versions and the second is without dotnet..
the pc gets two or even more of dotnet versions don't bother . each program has its own way to call for the needed version.
Hope I could clarify.

IQ my working PK2 + laptop has NET v2.50727 & v3.0 & v3.5 ...

My win 7 pro PC+PK2 has NET v4 and v4.0 as well as above

Okay, tried to install 2.60 with .NET. It will not install due to having a newer version on the laptop and it aborts.

Using
IQ N/A would suggest PK2 lost its operating system ... with PK2 standalone running, go to tools , and click download PICkit 2 Operating System... should show file PK2V23200.hex...

I'm able to program the PIC. But not with a mouse attached to laptop. Must remove mouse dongle and use touchpad to navigate MPLAB and PICkit 2 software. Might have to wait till I can get a powered USB to try.

IQ's Last post would suggest all the correct sw drivers are in place , what your suggesting is a USB port power problem , is PK2 powering your device ? or do you suspect mouse interference :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back