Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

URGENT Help needed with programming Philips Microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceOfHearts

Hello everyone! In purchased three Philips P87C58X2BN. Its been a few days I've had these.

I need help from anyone who knows how to program these.

As I am used to using the At89C51 microcontrollers, I have no clue on how to download my codes onto this. The AT89C51 had a built-in boot loader which made it a doddle downloading codes.

Doing the same procedure on this one does not work which I believe is because these MCUs do not come with boot loader so you cant just assert pins PSEN and RESET and use the Serial port to program them.

Any information on what software I need and what I need to do to get my codes on this chip is very appreciated.

Regards.

PS. I have studied the datasheet.

Last edited:
OK, hopefully someone will help by tommorrow! I know this is a really simple question to answer for someone who is experienced in the 8051 variety - just looking for the right person whose willing to help. Thanks. :)

Thanks kchriste for your help.

I realised that this microcontroller is missing ISP (In System Programming) That allows serial port programming. I need one with this feature which means Im after the 89C51 series of 8051 MCUs. It looks like both ATMEL and Philips have discontinued all their DIP 89C51 range.

However I found one place that stocks a 32K ROM one by Atmel called AT89C51RC2. The only issue is that I need more ROM to go with this so that I can place the order for both in one go. The MCU is here:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?PName?Name=AT89C51RC2-3CSUM-ND&Site=US&Lang=EN

The technician on the live chat help could not help with suggesting which ROM ICs are available for use. Any one have any suggestions to which ROM ICs I can buy that would work with this microcontroller? The size I buy would depend on the cost.

I really appreciate any help.

Regards.

Last edited:
What do you need more than 32K of Flash ROM for? If it is just for data, then look for an EEPROM with an SPI interface rather than a traditional parallel interface. It will save on pins. Something like the 32K x 8 EEPROM (25AA256-I/P) from Digikey might work with the AT89C51RC2's SPI interface. At a glance it looks OK.

Thanks, just ordered. No worries, I understand you are only 'suggesting'. I only asked for suggestions :) Thank you again.

PS. I need bigger than 32K ROM because the microcontroller will run a Graphic LCD of 64X128 pixels. A single image takes roughly 5KB of ROM and I will need quite a few different screens stored in the ROM on top of the MCU's other jobs. 32K feels a bit tight-pressed for all this.

Regards.

You could use the EEPROM for that. You could even write code for your AT89C51RC2 to update the 5K images in the EEPROM via the UART (Serial Port) without reprogramming the AT89C51RC2. You could even write a very simple compression routine to fit more images in the EEPROM. Look into RLE (Run Length Encoding) which is a very simple bitmap compression routine for simple graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back